freq domain toots request

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:53pm

freq domain toots request

Hallo board
okay, so i think i’m pretty fluent in most time-domain manipulation within Max, now i’d like to explore freq domain. Problem is, time domain isn’t too math(s) heavy, whereas freq is, ipso facto. Can anyone recommend a good resource for LEARNING frequency domain control, that doesn’t require higher level math(s)? I’ve done ALL the Max toots and the Curtis Roads, and some C.Dobrain and JF Charles, but found the latter a bit beyond me. I’ve been a member/contributor for a while, but i’m now frustrated in my programming by my grade school level maths. Any tips please?
Brendan

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:38pm

Trying to learn what you describe without the Math is a little like asking for a guide to Neurosurgery that doesn’t require any knowledge of medicine.

By including Curtis Roads’ name in your list, I presume you’re referring to the Computer Music Tutorial, yeah? Um… another pretty reasonable introductory text to the mathematics you’re having trouble with would be Gareth Loy’s two-volume Musimathics books. Did you give that one a run? I just laid it on a couple of students this week, and the report was that it was a pretty good intro to both the easy and the harder stuff. Give that one a look.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:39am

That’s the second recommendation i’ve got for this text – probably time to get it…

Thanks

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.