Forums > MaxMSP

[funbuff] peculiarity

May 31, 2009 | 8:45 am

Hi.

I’m trying to use [funbuff] as (what I thought might be) an efficient way of having multiple abstractions reading from the same table simultaneously (they’re reading constantly at about 20ms intervals, so they’ll be quite busy!). But I’m getting some peculiar results and wonder whether anyone has any ideas why.

I’m attempting this because I rather assumed that having multiple instances of the same table (again, being read repeatedly and rapidly) in several abstractions is going to be a memory/cpu drain. But perhaps I’m wrong.

Any thoughts/advice/alternatives would be much appreciated.

pete.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

May 31, 2009 | 9:55 am

It seems, but I’m not sure, that funbuff doesn’t deal well with inverted function.

Quote:
I’m attempting this because I rather assumed that having multiple instances of the same table (again, being read repeatedly and rapidly) in several abstractions is going to be a memory/cpu drain. But perhaps I’m wrong.

I presume that funbuff and table pretty much in the same way refer to the same location in memory in order to retrieve values. This then would be comparable to how buffer~ and several peek~ objects would work. On the other hand, doing interpolation, funbuff will have to do a number of operations on each retrieval. My hunch is that cpu wise it is better to go for table.

_
johan

May 31, 2009 | 11:41 am

OK. Then I’ll go with table. Many thanks, Johan.
pete.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)