FX Chains

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:21pm

FX Chains

Just wondering how I’d go about creating fx chains in max/msp….if i have each working effect in a subpatch how would I connect these? Also is there anyway of having a few visible elements in a subpatch instead of just seeing “p bitcrush” for example.

My intentions are to have a patch that will look similar to a vst effects rack, i.e visible parts will be sliders/knobs. I.e. buffer into fx rack to groove object and out.

I’m still very very new to Max/Msp so be gentle Smile

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:39pm

There’s two objects that each suit exactly what you’re looking for. [matrix~] in combination with [matrixctrl] gives you a straightforward GUI for routing effects/parameters into each other. Another approach for an effects rack would be to use [send~] and [receive~], then use a umenu to determine where each effect sends its output.

As for the visual element for the effects, take a look at the [bpatcher] object.

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:16pm

Here’s an example of the method explained above, you could always substitute the [patcher]s for [bpatcher]s to make the GUI visible. You might also want to look at the [poly~] helpfile where the DynamicPoly subpatch might give you some ideas.

lh

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Nov 9, 2009 at 12:14pm

i found this, pretty much the exact kinda thing I want….
I looked through the tutorials but they were still very very confusing to me…and looking at the final patch I couldn’t even really see much of a difference to when its in performance mode…

I’m sure there’s something dead simple to make this but as I said, newbie! cheers

(here’s the patch/tutorial)
http://www.cycling74.com/story/2009/1/29/103047/879

Nov 9, 2009 at 12:33pm

I noticed something called “p *insert name here* comp_handler”

this seems to link chains together well….

Nov 9, 2009 at 12:35pm

sorry “p *insertnamehere*_handler” even

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:11pm

The [p ] is a [patcher] object which encapsulates part of your main patch into a certain section. If you double click on one from the guitar processor patch in patching mode you will see what is inside. This is a good way to organise effects: bundle each one into a [patcher] to keep them organised. However in this example the effects are linear, you cannot bypass or re-order them. If you want to do that then have a look at the patch I posted above.

lh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.