Forums > MaxMSP

Gain reduction for tanh~?

November 17, 2012 | 7:17 am

I’d like to make a fader that turns up tanh~’s input, while simultaneously turning down it’s output. Currently I am just scaling down the maximum output using the scale object. Problem is the it gets too loud in the middle part of the range. I think if I applied
a inverse gaussian curve to the output, that would work, but I don’t understand how to do that yet. Any ideas?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

November 30, 2012 | 9:44 pm

Still looking for an answer to this. I’m basically looking for a "smart fader" to turn up tanh~ (or overdrive~) and smoothly turn down the output gain at the same time.

December 1, 2012 | 10:04 am

Here you go.
Subjectively it may sound louder as you turn it up, but that’s because you’re adding more harmonics; the meter & ‘scope never lie!
Cheers
Roger

December 1, 2012 | 2:39 pm

Ignore this – I hadn’t woken up when I wrote it; I was either being facetious or talking bollocks!
But then here’s a man who thinks Wales have a chance against Australia today…
Cheers
Roger

December 3, 2012 | 2:44 am

How did Wales do? Thanks for the thoughts and the patch, I think you are right about tanh~ sounding subjectively louder without actually being turned up. This is a little trickier than I thought, especially if it’s "subjective" volume I’m attenuating. Another issue is using an audio source that is not at unity gain (like a live guitar loop), it may need a different volume curve.

December 3, 2012 | 9:55 am

I just found this example in the Tools/Building Blocks of the Max audio effects.

December 3, 2012 | 5:27 pm

Maybe look at loudness~ ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)