GEN and externals in M4L

Jul 20, 2013 at 6:48am

GEN and externals in M4L

maybe it’s obvious for some, but not clear for me what does this mean:

“Gen works within Max for Live with a full Max 6 license. However, to edit Gen patchers in Max 6 or Max for Live, you will need to own a Gen license, which is an affordable add on to Max 6.”

So can i use GEN in a M4L device if i want to publish it to be used by everyone? Or only those will be able to use it who bought a full MAX6, not just M4L?

So if i want to publish a max4live device for everyone to use, i don’t have an option to use GEN?

Another question is also about the externals, if i write an external, will that be embedded in the AMXD file (i know i have to compile win and ios externals then)?

Aug 2, 2013 at 6:17pm

anybody knows the answer? :)

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:38am

Hi , if that wouldnt work i bet that some of the people would stop using GEN because cant be accessible by others . Dont worry , your gen “stuff” will work for the others too as far as ive noticed :)

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:32am

Thanx Kris, it’s just strange what does this mean then in the GEN info:

http://cycling74.com/support/faq_gen/

“Gen works within Max for Live with a full Max 6 license.”

If some has Live9 Suite with max4live, that doesn’t mean he/she has a full max6 license!

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:30am

I think that all the VIZZable users don’t have a full license, and all the modules of version 2 use Gen.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:29am

Just in case if i wasn’t alone with the confusion, got an answer from the Cycling74 crew:

“I guess that FAQ needs an update in order to be clearer. It should read.

“Gen functions completely within Max for Live. However, to edit Gen patchers in Max 6 or Max for Live, you will need to own a Gen license, which is an affordable add on to Max 6.”

If you make a Max For Live device and use Gen, the person you give it to won’t need Gen to run it, but they won’t be able to edit the Gen component either.

I hope that clears it up for you.
cheers,
Tom.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.