Forums > Gen

Gen Feature request

February 13, 2014 | 10:55 am

Hi
I would like to suggest the possibility of setting param values through abstraction attribute arguments. For instance, if I have a gen abstraction called bwg and I have defined a resonance and frequency param, I would like to be able to create an instance of the abstraction as ‘bwg @resonance .6 @frequency 430′.

February 13, 2014 | 4:26 pm

use [patcherargs] ?

February 13, 2014 | 4:36 pm

that doesn’t exist in gen

February 14, 2014 | 5:23 am

Hi Testcase,
this seems to be already present in gen~
At least, it works for me in the following patch:
<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

However, it seems to be rather buggy: if you copy/paste the gen~ object, or save and close the patch, the object ignores the params, unless you re-write them.
{
"version" : "Version 6.1.6 (307fb20)",
"platform" : "mac",
"arch" : "x86",
"osversion" : "Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 i386",
"samplerate" : 44100,
"iovs" : 64,
"sigvs" : 64,
"scheduler_in_audio_interrupt" : "off",
"audio_drivername" : "Core Audio",
"audio_driver_subname" : "",
"eventinterval" : 2,
"overdrive" : "off",
"mixerparallel" : "on",
"mixercrossfade" : 1,
"mixerlatency" : 30.0,
"mixerramptime" : 10.0
}

February 14, 2014 | 6:53 am

LSKA – Thanks but I think I have maybe been unclear. I am talking about using a *.gendsp abstraction from within gen~ itself. You are correct that the param setting to the root gen~ object is buggy.

February 14, 2014 | 6:57 am

Ah, okay, now i understand better. you probably have to create [params] a the toplevel gen, and send each one through inlets then ? which is not convenient indeed

February 14, 2014 | 7:37 am

Thanks vichug.

YEah, what I am doing is creating a whole library of *.gendsp abstraction that mirror a big *.genexpr file I created. I have been struggling with how I would like certain things to work. IN principle I like the Param stuff but, as an example, let’s say I have a filter and I make the cutoff frequency a param. If I want the cutoff frequency of this to stay at a constant value that is not the default value for the param I need to make a setparam object and route it to the filter. At that point it is less verbose to just have an inlet for the cutoff frequency and hook a number constant into it. I think what I was trying to suggest was a way to get around this problem. Perhaps people aren’t really using gen in this way?

February 24, 2014 | 9:17 am

Feature request noted, thanks for the suggestion.

February 24, 2014 | 9:57 am

thanks.

JMC
February 25, 2014 | 1:14 am

Hi,

Here is another feature request for gen: having several outlets in jit.gl.pix and jit.pix like with jit.gen.
I’ve some jit.gen patchers with several outlets and I want to run them on the GPU.
Could be very useful to control another future request object (jit.gl.vertex) :

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/feature-request-jit-gl-vertex-see-example-below-jit-gl-pix-vs-jit-gen-in-mesh/

Jean-Michel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)