Gen~ in Poly~ take a long time to load

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:05am

Gen~ in Poly~ take a long time to load

I’m wondering why poly~ with a lot of voices and gen~ inside poly’s patch take so long to load ?
maybe each gen is compiled individually ?

Ben++

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:45pm

Exactly. It’s possible in the future that this can be avoided, but not currently, unfortunately. It’s been logged as a feature request.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:20pm

What about Gen~s that are referencing saved .gendsp files? Does it still compile those at each load of the poly~, or are they pre-compiled when saving?

Aug 7, 2012 at 8:03am

Still re-compiled when loaded, unfortunately. It’s on the feature request list.

Aug 7, 2012 at 8:07am

Noted! Thanks for the info. I doubt you’ll be able to answer the next question, but there’s at least one thing (and then also this) I’m looking forward to in a future release. Any idea of a timeframe for the next point release? It’s been a while since the last update.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:46pm

Hi guys ? it is still on a list or has been rejected for a while ?
When it comes to M4L with poly (& multiple instances of a device) , i can go shopping while its opening . its not for real life scenario . This way Gen is suitable only for special/unique cases . i cant use it

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:13am

in the meanwhile, i would suggest, in the case you have a finished gen subpatcher, writing a proper c max external with the gen export tools… surely this is possible ?

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:14pm

that would be a miracle . i really dont want to learn C dsp to take difficulty of making simple things performing faster , i want to live . management and setting up environment for coding AND coding itself its always about problems and constant improvements , never finished projects due to time that has to be concerned and effort (i havent been born as a geek) :/ with Gen i can do things with less brain effort , faster , debug , have fun , have family .
i would love to be able to take my knowledge and build tools for frequent and everyday use , things that i need at particular time , things that can be used more than ONCE within a project/composition .
But loading Gen more than in one device its a nightmare due to “never ending” compilation (with poly – to infinity ). Exporting Gen to “max external” would be a miracle , the biggest step in history i dare to say.

C74 ? Fathers ! please , its few years since this talk . you can always say no . it just would be great to know if any of these requests will be taken under consideration . i would also like to prepare myself for a change or not .

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:36pm

i really understand your point ! i was merely pointing that, when it comes to writing/compiling a useful msp external, beginning with a gen patcher is supposed to be one of the simplest and most straightforward route. Still far from ideal, and if you have no clue about c/c++ programming and compiling, it’s still a big learning gap, i can only agree. Not to mention that compiling a msp external from an exported gen code seems like a step backward…

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:56pm

yes sure Vichug .
i think Gen can suit my quasi-geek needs , i truly love it (even if its not ideal),it changes the way im thinkin and prototyping – i prefere to code but not the way C has to offer . im not blaming C developers im just not that capable to learn it to make it useful for my needs – so this is less ideal scenario . its just too much . C need a special attitude , and MAX gave me an option to be myself in some way . it would be great to still have this comfort . do better things in this environment .

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:40pm

Hey !
I am currently facing that sort of problem !… a granulator in gen~, in a poly~, 64 voices, incredibly long to fire… and i would prefer not to have to export the code and writing a c external out of it, indeed… sooo, the sole purpose of this unburying is to know if there is any advancement on that topic – ie, beeing able to “embed a compiled gen~ in patcher” or “one-gen~-compile-is-enough-for-each-poly’s-voices” ! any advancement on that topic ?

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:05pm

Yes. I can’t make any promises about when this kind of thing will be released, but it is a development priority.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:08pm

Cool ! good to know, thanks

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:24pm

+1 for “gen~ within poly~” improvement.

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:55am

Hi ,
it took quite long to receive any information if such issue is under consideration . I had to decide what to with it on my own .
I took C external development approach , i had no choice .
As a result ive got less time for living life but much more efficiency within Max . I cant conclude if this is better scenario or not ,just yet .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.