Forums > MaxMSP

gen + projects = not good

June 30, 2014 | 4:32 am

Hi, two quite strange things about projects+gen~:
-Genexpr files are stored inside the "other" folder. They don’t seem to be found by ‘require’… and there also aren’t any helpful error messages by the way. unless I’m doing something wrong, this really isn’t very nice(took me a day..)
-gendsp files used inside gen patches as abstractions are not found as dependencies. The great thing about projects is that I don’t have to worry abut dependencies so much anymore right? well don’t rely on that when using gen..
These two are quite annoying bugs to be honest. (correct me if I’m wrong)
all the best!

PS: since the projects feature nicely takes care to always move my genexpr files into the ‘other’ folder, I can’t put these into the patches folder where they would be found. This means that we essentially can’t use ‘require’ when working with the projects feature.. :( any workaround suggestions?

June 30, 2014 | 5:08 pm

I am very disillusioned with GEN, honestly believe that GEN does not comply.

Other things are quite strange, all poorly documented, (and we will have several years there) certain arbitrary limitations and bugs, I think it is very difficult to reach something like what promises .. eg performing vst etc. ..

June 30, 2014 | 5:19 pm

I’m actually quite fond of gen~ although yes.. we are waiting for updates.. and proper docs..
I’d like to add another bug/constraint: we can’t use the delay in external genexpr files to be loaded.. this is another one that takes everyone at least an hour to find out..

June 30, 2014 | 6:11 pm

As the patch grows, I switch off autocompile, the audio engine too, then compile, often especially when I use Data, Delay or History, these objects cause some kind of memory corruption and hangs .. very strange Behaviour .
But it really does not seem to work well is the system parameters, in many cases, due to replace, for inputs (and losing). only fixed parameters (refresh?) ..

July 3, 2014 | 1:32 pm

i gotta say, i spend all my time with gen~ and i almost don’t recognise any of these problems. although i 100% agree there is not enough documentation and no tutorials.

projects and gen play very nicely for me. all .gendsp, .genjit and .genexpr files should end up automatically in the ‘code’ folder (not ‘other’). are you sure all your files have the correct extensions? you should be able to refer gen abstractions and use ‘require’ just fine.

also, unlike the very similar .amxd format, .maxproj does not automatically add the files to the local path. you have to right click in the list and create local, or ‘consolidate’ to do it for everything.

indeed you cannot use memory allocations like the delay operator in open code in require files, but you can include delay operators in functions in require files. require files are basically just for making big reusable lists of functions. i posted an example to another of your posts a while ago for writing delay operators in functions.

sometimes the error reporting in gen is infuriating, but all in all i think it is an amazing language, enables me to do so many things i could not do in max before, and is very young so hopefully will improve.

July 3, 2014 | 2:55 pm

Hi STKR !
You have compiled a vst?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)