General max Q's

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:28am

General max Q's

Hi, this is extremely embarrassing thus, the reason more to do it.

I am about to fail a class at my uni because I can’t answer the following questions for an evaluation and had no other choice but to post them here to see if i can get some of them answered.

Some are real basic. Having some problems with the following. . .

Wont be surprised with no response, just feeling super low, i dont know just cant concentrate enough to get it done by myself.

1.) Make a patch that calculates X + Y such that the patch will perform the calculation when you enter either X or Y, not just X.

2.) Make a patch that generates random numbers between 1 and 10. Filter the output through a gate that is opened automatically at launch and closes when the number 7 is chosen.

3.) Make a patch that contains a umenu and a preset. Edit the umenu so that its contents are the words, “one”, “two”, and “three”. Randomly choose a new menu item every half second. Use the output of the umenu to select a preset number that directly corresponds to the menu text, e.g. menu item “two” selects preset number 2.

4.) create an envelope that is automatically and consistently triggered by a bang every 324 ms, and whose duration randomly switches between 20%, 50%, and 70% of the time between beats.

So, didnt know what else to do, any hints or help is extremely appreciated.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:33am

I feel sleazy

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Sep 4, 2011 at 6:01am

can you spare some US$ 5,000?

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:48am

hahaha sheet

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:09am

First of all Id like to thank you with greatness upon a platter ben, i really appreciate the help.

I still dont get number one for my lack of skill in mathematics.

Number two is awesome and number 3 I have below, the problem was not being able to change the umenu along with the presets going from one to three.

Any further help would be insanely great. Really appreciate it

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:45am

why am I doing this?

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:52am

Really appreciate it, wasnt getting the x and y cause of the multiplying instead of adding, thought something else was going on as my mind tends to stick to details.

Why not though, I’d love to help a brother in need of help. Feel the greatness upon the platter man, for it is purposeful : )

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:20am

Hi, can some some one help me with the two following questions please?

1.) create an envelope that is automatically and consistently triggered by a bang every 324 ms, and whose duration randomly switches between 20%, 50%, and 70% of the time between beats.

2.) make a patch that plays back a sample looped where the beginning of the loop is always at the beginning of the file and the end of the loop is chosen randomly via user control in the range of 50 to 200 ms.

This is what I have so far, but they are geusses. I would like some expertise on how to get them finished properly if possible. : )

Thanks, anything is appreciated

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:38am

Sorry, this is what I meant, kind of funny tho haha

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:44am

…and with luck, your prof’s not reading the Max list. :-)

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:51am

haha, im trying! Plan on learning at the same time, got no one to ask for helps : /

so depressing, and funny

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:57pm

Something (well actually many things) have been bothering me about your post. Besides the inherent unethical nature of what you are doing — essentially taking credit for others’ work — and the weirdness that seemingly at the very last minute you have to accomplish these relatively trivial tasks or “fail” the class at your uni (sheesh…), it has to do with the point of education, or at least my sense of it.

As one of those evil profs (and I obviously do read this list [hi Gregory!]), I can tell you that it is usually apparent when a student has not done the work for a particular class or assignment. I will often ask those annoying ‘probing questions’ to see if the student has actually gained any understanding of the principles underlying the assignment, and again it is usually apparent when they haven’t. By cajoling some good-hearted souls on this list to do your work, will you have mastered the content behind the assignment? Is this the education for which you (or someone) has paid Good Money to receive? I certainly hope not.

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:04pm

@brad

I’ve been following this thread with interest/dismay too; as an educator and research student, I find your comments encouraging, concise and vital. I hope the OP accepts them in the spirit they are offered.

2c

Brendan

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:05pm

And one more thing: have you tried talking with your instructor(s) about your difficulties? Believe it or not, we don’t really like to fail students.

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:14pm

@Roman,

Man to discover bucket, before can shit in it ;)

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:43pm

First, wasnt trying to take credit for other peoples work

I did post whatever it is that I came up with within the past 3 days.

I’m really interested in max, and these random trivial questions don’t interest me very much, and I know there are extremely talented programmers on this forum that could show me what to do with ease and as well as give me an understanding.

Anything I’ve asked on this forum has been completely dissected and learned.

This forum is supposed to be a place to get help, and thats why I posted the questions. Wasn’t gonna just have someone post them and copy paste them without understanding.

Trying to ease into the learning curve of this program, and learn it the way I learn everything else, which is from the beings around me.

Sorry if I’ve offended you guys, just a misconception from my pov, straight up. Looking to learn and use this program with help from masters of it. No one figures anything out by themselves

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:57pm

Herman,

The forum can be a touchy place for novice and experienced users alike. I think the main reason you encountered hostility was that you would have found the answer to your first question (X + Y) within the first 5 minutes of working through the tutorials.

Everybody has a right to ask for help but your questions were so basic, it seemed like you’d made no effort at all to learn Max. If Max is part of your studies, you demonstrate contempt for your own learning by not even reading the introductory tutorials.

If you have worked your way though the tutorials and examples, then I apologise. Perhaps you would be better off talking to your tutor about how you’re just not getting it… if the example patches don’t make sense, then neither will most of the stuff people post on here.

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:06pm

Yeah, i got the x y question after it was shown to me, but I didnt get whether or not it was actually adding x+y or something else. Confused me, kind of like how it shows you an example in a math book. Also didnt expect the accusation of ‘taking credit for others work’ haha

Regardless, I am interested in using this program for music, and the tutorials and examples I have used have been great for just that, not for nitpicky programming questions that im not used to as this is the 1st programming language I have come across. I also know that these questions could be cake for someone who randomly came across them.

Just really didn’t expect this attitude from a bunch of intelligent people. Its really simple. Help someone, get high off of it, pretty cool exchange in my view

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:21pm

I think you are trying to run before you can walk. You may think you understand the tutorials, but based on what you are saying I feel certain that you lack a basic grasp on how Max works.

The forum is largely going to be like ‘examples in a math book’. There’s no point staring at them if you don’t understand the underlying concepts.

If you speak to your tutor about your problems face to face, it will be easier for you to get a handle on what’s going on. There’s only so much we can do by typing.

Besides, your tutor’s job is to help you learn. He/she ought to be your first port of call. Many on this forum are glad to help out, but to take the time to hold your hand through your very first steps might, ah, prove too much for some.

I’m sorry if you feel like I’m being harsh to you. I’m just being honest. I mostly use the forum for the exchange of slightly more advanced ideas than the problems you’re currently wrestling, and I fear that I might be here all night if I tried to answer all your questions properly.

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:30pm

“but based on what you are saying I feel certain that you lack a basic grasp on how Max works.”

exactly, seeing it just helps more with or without explanation. There are certain things, regarding math and programming language/max specifics that I honestly don’t get. Then there are some that I do (seeing it helps i e some youtube tutorials), just found out that this forum is like most others the hard way(i e this being the post that randoms look at just to get high off of). Definitely gna be more careful about what I ask and dont ask.

Thanks for some of your understanding, sorry for offense, just pretty lost

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:31pm

If you get stuck again I would recommend seeing what you can come up with on your own first. If you post a patch that you think should work and it doesn’t then at least the forum users can see where you are making mistakes and and feedback we provide should be much more helpful to you than just posting a completed patch. However it is always good to ask your tutor if you do find yourself really struggling, that is what they’re paid for after all! Max is tough to get your head around, especially at the very beginning of your learning but all the tutorials, the youtube videos, the built in examples and the multitude of patches on the forum should help you along the way. Just like any physical instrument it’s not one that you can just pick up and play but putting time and effort into really understanding what is going on will be amazingly beneficial in the long run!

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:24pm

Also, there’s lots of great material on Max that’s been published in the last year, so be sure to check those out.

My other recommendation is not to ask for solutions to specific problems. As an instructor, I definitely watch the forums around exam time, and there’s a big difference between “I don’t understand concept x” and “what’s the solution?’. I don’t mind people seeking to understand the concept; I do mind people trying to avoid the work of learning. (not judging in this case, but it is a worthwhile guideline)

There is some gruntwork in the beginning, but it absolutely pays off. Get the fundamentals right or your patches will fall apart at the seams. (weird clicks, unexpected behavior, problematic interface, etc.)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.