generate 3d light trail with kinect

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:43am

generate 3d light trail with kinect

hello guys,

I’m going crazy to create jitter in the light trails in 3D space.
I would like to transfer the xyz coordinates of the Kinect to draw a trail in 3D.

I’d like to get this result to create light trails
https://vimeo.com/29404191
I’m just enough :)

does anyone know how to do it? or has already created light trails?

please help me
thanks

Mauro

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:49am

Also interested.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:49am

what have you tried?

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:41am

Chiming in here, as my issue is related – Not strictly the ‘light trail’ effect per se, but rather to create (the illusion of) a continuous path of arbitrary length in 3d space

The approach I have tried is to use jit.gl.sketch to draw a shape in 3d space using stroke commands. Unfortunately the system slows down quite drastically as the path grows longer – No doubt as a consequence of the fact that the system is defining an ever longer path based on freehand gestures (displaylist 1 has some effect but it is still slowing a lot).

So I guess the problem is to either render the path to a texture at some point before the path bogs the CPU/GPU down and then somehow place that texture in the render context so it gives a good sense of continuity, or alternatively to find a more efficient way to draw (or perhaps define) paths of arbitrary length possibly using a some other method. Unfortunately, I haven’t really managed either yet.

Any tips welcome…

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:52am

jit.gl.path?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.