Forums > MaxMSP

Generating Random Freq at specified rate?

April 8, 2010 | 12:49 pm

Hi,

Any way of producing a random frequency between a set range at a specified rate?

I have tried rand~ but changes continuously?

Im basically looking to produce the affect of drunk in MSP domain.

Im missing something,

DW

April 8, 2010 | 4:15 pm

Built with a few standard objects:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 8, 2010 | 4:44 pm

as you say, there’s a Max way and an MSP way; here’s both:

April 8, 2010 | 5:22 pm

It was sah~ that i needed!

Thanks guys,

DW

April 8, 2010 | 5:30 pm

I’ve also just discovered the joys of [sah~], see this thread too:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=25804#post-129311

Brendan

April 8, 2010 | 10:53 pm

I’m also trying to randomize the phasor ramp (0, 1) once it has complete a cycle…any thoughts?

I’m working on a granular synthesis patch in MSP domain for timing purposes,

Thanks,

DW.

April 9, 2010 | 10:06 am

No doubt, the Max gods out there will provide something more elegant than this, which randomizes [phasor~] freq at the top of each ramp.

April 9, 2010 | 10:07 am

in the 2nd example, change [phasor~] freq to 1. to initialize the process – ooops

April 9, 2010 | 1:37 pm

Thanks Brendan, but won’t incorporating max domain affect timing?….i tried scaling noise and then using the number~ object right outlet to drive phasor~ which worked, but again this switches domains.

Cheers.

April 9, 2010 | 2:02 pm

I suppose it depends how tight you want the timing to be, if it’s a ms value larger than your Signal Vector Size then it’s irrelevant isn’t it? This is a grey area for me (as you guessed probably); why not send the [number~] value direct to the phasor~ input?

April 9, 2010 | 2:56 pm

Yeah, but multiple grain generators scheduled in max become problematic, i want sample accurate timing. Number~ box has a delay as well i think. I’ll look into other ways and post something if your interested.

Thanks four your time.

April 9, 2010 | 3:53 pm

I’m going to have several attempts at this one, as time-domain granulation is something of an obsession of mine, like so many others i guess, but also cos it’s a challenge. Why not start a new thread, there are many talented and experienced Maxers here who would suggest a solution in no time…..keep me posted
Brendan

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)