Generic save state of everything

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:05am

Generic save state of everything

OK — now that someone has shown me how to use the basic pattr stuff to save the state of a patcher (http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=35930), I’m now looking for a more general solution.

I have a lot lot of top level patchers and having to insert 10 or so objects (representing the autopattr, pattrstorage and store/recall stuff) in every single patcher seems very awkward. I had hoped that I could at least have put those objects in an abstraction so that I would just have to include ONE extra object per patcher, but I haven’t been able to get that to work.

Is there some way to simplify the saving/restoring of the entire state of an arbitrary patcher?

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:13am

I usually end up with one top level patcher, but gobs of abstractions/bpatchers. In this scheme, each abstraction gets its own autopattr, and gets a scripting name. I have the bulk of the save/restore stuff in an abstraction included in the top level, that manages preset names, and menus to select presets by preset name. At the top level, I have a pattrstorage, an optional menu for selecting presets by name, my abstraction, and a button to open that abstraction to show some preset naming and saving stuff.

I’m not sure how I would go about it with multiple top level patchers.

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:18am

I don’t know enough about max internals to do this but it seems to me that it ought to be possible to enumerate all objects in a patcher (and recursively through child patchers) and capture the state and then save it. Whether with a JavaScript object or an external, it would be an extremely useful thing to have lying around.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:50pm

Does the SDK have sufficient functionality to be able to enumerate and access all objects in a patcher and its children?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.