Forums > Gen

GenExpr Operator reference?

March 26, 2012 | 1:37 am

Hi,

Is there a code reference in the docs covering common and domain-specific gen operators? Something like:

mul(a,b)
/**
* a = multiplier
* b = signal
*/

So for example, controlling amplitude in traditional ‘object’ form, an audio signal goes into the first inlet, and a value (0-1) goes in the second inlet. Then the 0-1 values control the volume of inlet one. With codebox -> mul, it seems to be the reverse.. The control value is the first argument and the signal needs to be the second argument.

March 26, 2012 | 3:35 am

Hi there,

Multiplication is commutative, that means a * b equals b * a. It’s as true to say that a is controlling the amplitude of b, as b is controlling the amplitude of a.

Also, it shouldn’t matter which way around the two inputs are for the result; if either input is a signal, the result will be a signal and the multiplication will happen at signal-rate (i.e. per sample).

Hope that helps. If you’re seeing something weird, please send a patcher and I’ll take a look!

G

PS. The operator reference can be found from the gen~, jit.gen etc. helpfiles, under the ‘?’ tab.

March 27, 2012 | 3:41 pm

Hi Graham,

Yes.. Did some tests with mul and arg order doesn’t matter at all. Guess I’ll chalk that up to getting used to codebox. And thanks for pointing me to the ? tab..

I finally just got around to playing with gen, and in my haste I clearly missed that.

Ray

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)