Forums > Max For Live

Get the current values of all MIDI mapped objects in Live

September 6, 2012 | 1:38 pm

Hi all!

For many years I’ve been annoyed with the lack of visual feedback from Live to my various footcontrollers (used both FCB1010 and the SoftStep). I want to rely only on what the lights on my pedals tell me and not having to check my computer to be sure, but the way it is now I just don’t trust that what I’m seeing in front of me on the floor is actually what’s going on in Live. To conquer this I thought I would make a MFL patch which could poll for all necessary values (that is all MIDI mapped objects) at a given rate and consequently send these values out to the controllers. Hence my question is (as the title says): is it possible to get query the API for the values of all MIDI mapped objects?

September 6, 2012 | 1:39 pm

I will of course also welcome any other suggestions to solve the issue with lack of visual feedback

September 6, 2012 | 4:14 pm

I think no MIDI-Map Object in Live … but you can make "Max MIDI Effect(because audio track cannot send midi out in native way)" to observer
most of property of anything in LiveSet then you can works & mapping to your desire midi msg…
this may work well only if you already have a "LiveSet" that you have constructed and work with it.

September 6, 2012 | 7:16 pm

If I understand you correctly, you mean that I will create an live.observe instance for each of my MIDI mapped objects and listen to them individually? If so, I have already thought of that as a last resort, but it’s not a very clever solution since it involves a lot of ugly "manual programming" and will not be very portable (that is, not portable at all). Please correct me if I misunderstood your suggestion.

I haven’t used the API with JavaScript yet – perhaps someone who has can fill me in if any such functions are available there?

September 6, 2012 | 7:34 pm

Looking through the documentation one more time I noticed there is an object class called "MidiMap", but it is not mentioned anywhere else in the documentation!? What is this mystery object?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)