get_current_smpte_song_time

May 8, 2013 at 12:11am

get_current_smpte_song_time

Hi,

I've encountered a problem with using the 'get_current_smpte_song_time' m4l function in combination with an automated tempo change in Ableton.
It seems to me that ableton doest take the previous tempo(s) into account when it outputs the next smpte. By instance if the tempo increases the time goes in reverse. Does this mean that the pointer doesn't refer to an actual smpte time stamp but instead is a derived from the beat counter:
(60000 / tempo) * the current beat position

Am I missing something here? Because I really need this for synchronising my arrangement to a singer, video artist, light technician etc…

Thank you for your comments.

Fedde

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

[attachment=222971,5551]

Attachments:
  1. Schermafbeelding20130508om01.46.19.png
May 8, 2013 at 11:47am

Confirmed. I suppose that Ableton Live doesn’t have an internal smpte counter. Probably for the same reason output of Midi Time Code (MTC) is not supported.

If your arrangement is played non-stop from start to end, you could use a simple workaround by building a smpte counter with [clocker] and [translate].

May 11, 2013 at 1:33am

Thanks for your reply. I thought of a thing that indexes the tempo structure of the arrangement. I find it a bit annoying to go back to start every time I’m rehearsing a single part.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.