Getting an output from jit.desktop?

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:18pm

Getting an output from jit.desktop?

Hi, you might have seen my other post about getting a webcam to work with jitter. If not, here’s the lowdown.

I’m working on a project for my final module of uni, for which I can’t get hold of my lecturers (had an extension because of crap family stuff so am finishing it out of term time) so I’m pretty much on my own in a programme I know not a lot about.

I want to get a webcam feed into Jitter. The movement of the feed on the screen will then trigger sounds depending on where on the screen the movement occurs.

The first problem I had with this was that I couldn’t get max to recognise the webcam. I worked around this by using jit.desktop and just making sure that the part of the desktop it displays is the part with the webcam monitor on. This is good.

As I wanted different areas of the screen to detect movement in its own area, I then used jit.scissors to chop up the jit.desktop display. See crude patch attached for example.

As you can see (whether you have a webcam or not), this displays a certain part of your screen in a box, divided into 8 parts. Great. I need some form of numerical output from this, so that when movement occurs, the numbers change and a sound is triggered.

How the hell do I do this? I was told jit.glue would be what I needed but when I put that in, all it did was show the same part of the screen in each of the 8 little boxes! (I can send this patch if necessary)

I would REALLY appreciate help on this one, any help will be documented in my hand in notes so I won’t be taking all the credit, I am really struggling and close to tears with it all – it needs to be in by Aug 28th so I’m pretty desperate with it at the mo.

I’m away from tomorrow to fri but will be able to pick up messages on my phone.

Please help me!

Frustrated of Devon ;-)

Aug 16, 2008 at 10:16am

can anyone help? :-( Would be much appreciated. I figure there must be some way of getting a numerical output from there?
Please?
:-(

Aug 16, 2008 at 10:57am

Take a look at jit.3m. If a section of the video passes over a
certain threshold, bang away…

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Lol wrote:
>
> can anyone help? :-( Would be much appreciated. I figure there must be some way of getting a numerical output from there?
> Please?
> :-(

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:26pm

Trying it now… thanks for the help :-) I’ll let you know how I get on. Any help at all is always appreciated very much!!

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:01pm

As said in my other thread (if any of you have seen the other one): I’ve just had a breakthrough by getting the numerical output that I wanted!

Watch this space!!

(Insert air-punch and “woohoo!”)

(Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.