Getting info from Inspector patches

Sep 30, 2006 at 10:05pm

Getting info from Inspector patches

Hello,

How might I send arbitrary messages to objects (within inspectors particularly)?

I saw the possibility for thisobject “add setrgb” etc. messages. Tried this on the number object and it won’t accept my custom “getflags” message (I wanted to monitor the flags applied to that particular number box):

Object within number inspector now reads: thisobject getflags

So I sent “getflags”, “getflags 1″. Max gave error: number: doesn’t understand “getflags”

Any other place I need to tell the number (or any) object where to expect messages? For that matter, where’s the “in” for messages within the inspector? Hidden I suppose–a hidden connection from the inlet of the main object and the “thisobject” ?? A little confusing… For example, I see the “route flags” etc. messages in the number subpatches, but where does this “come into the object” originally?

I want to be able to send messages out regarding the status of things within any inspector, without having to open up the inspector itself. Along those lines, how could I do a send/receive for the information that would identify that particular object (as changing the inspector changes them all…?) Will sending a message to a particular number object report the data for just that object? hmm… Any way to have the object report data out an additional outlet or something? Or would I have to do a send/receive?

This is more of a curiosity than anything, though being able to “getstate” about any object could be useful.

Thanks!

-CJ

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:11pm

> For that matter, where’s the “in” for messages within
> the inspector? Hidden I suppose–a hidden connection from
> the inlet of the main object and the “thisobject” ??

[thisobject.help]:

“The thisobject object is used inside inspector patches
to communicate with the object being edited. It allows
you to get the object’s current state and send messages
modifying the state”

!

> I want to be able to send messages out regarding the
> status of things within any inspector, without having
> to open up the inspector itself.

not possible. an inspector has to be launched for a
[thisobject] to know where to request (and send) data.

try using [universal] in the cases where it works.

or use named objects and a cusrtom message sender
… naming unfortunately also requires to open a window :)

> Will sending a message to a particular number object
> report the data for just that object?

for no [thispatcher] object at all.(when i am not wrong)

getting data from the patch only happens when you
open/reopen an inspector for it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.