Getting Midi Messages From a M4L Device (Like an External)

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:00pm

Getting Midi Messages From a M4L Device (Like an External)

Hi,
I am wondering if it is possible to “detect” a Max for Live Device in MIDI so that it could be used in MIDI Map mode in Live. For instance, I have a patch with 4 buttons, is there a way for me to go into midi map mode, click on the buttons in live I want those to control, click on the buttons and have them be linked/mapped?

In other words, how do I make my patch read like an external MIDI Object. Thanks

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:08pm

So…use an M4L device, but have it’s functionality be like say, an external MIDI controller? Wish I could help, but can’t think of a way without a third party utility of some sort (something that converts keyboard input to MIDI messages – forgot what it’s called but it’s out there).

Perhaps one of the “pros” here can help you with that. Curious though, what for and why? Only reason I can think of, I once was trying to map parameters in live to MIDI CC without a physical controller, this was to control parameters in an outside program with Live, like “hey filter frequency, send your movement on ch1 cc1 now!”.

Using parts of the something like the MultiMap device, you can route that to CC in max, and use a MIDI track in live to choose the channel it sends out on, if you are indeed trying to map without a controller.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:34am

Have you looked at the M4L XY Pad? The coding for the mapping portion could probably be copied and tweaked to do what you need.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:02am

I have an osc program on my ipad which connects to M4L via UDP (osc) I am trying to make it so that I can map the values received over UDP (I have four sliders on my ipad which go to Four sliders in a M4L patch) via midi. This way I could open my Max Patch, and midi map my sliders to different parameters in ableton each time. Any thoughts.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:12am

So you can map in max because of osc but not in Ableton because of osc. So, if you snatch one of the mapping abstractions from the lfo or midi-map, or probably best the xy as Aaron suggested (as that one still leaves the parameter that is mapped free for mouse control), you can map to live parameters by proxy. Since you’re only using four sliders this really isn’t difficult – literally just copy and duplicate four of the mapping bpatchers and hook your osc sliders to the only inlet.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:41am

Thank you. That is exactly what I am going to do. Thank you both. Great!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.