Forums > Jitter

getting my started on this kind of video effect (video linked)

June 28, 2010 | 3:44 pm

hey guys… besides some really "basic" stuff ive never done something special with jitter..
but yesterday i came across this video.. i love this effect

http://vimeo.com/11219984

could you please get me started on how to rebuild this?

my guess so far is playing a video throug one or two jit.qt.movie objects…
than using drunk and/or random to jump back a few frames now and then…

but whats the name of the object that makes the red-blue-green visuals?

there is such a load of jitter objects… i havent found it yet…

thank you very much

oh and in case the author is surfing this topic… awesome patch!

June 28, 2010 | 11:06 pm

Have you tried asking the video uploader? There are links to a blog and portfolio site from vimeo, he might be willing to share the patch or advice on how to get something similar up and running. I’m no jitter expert but if you haven’t looked through the jitter recipes on this site now is definitely the time!

lh

September 8, 2010 | 11:30 am

been two months now… no answer from the uploader.
can someone please get me started?

September 8, 2010 | 11:45 am

indeed. it’s very nice effect.
I like the RGB glitches when frames are jumping. that’s the best part of it.
I like the user name of coffeecigs too.
come on! people, let him get started!! he must be really nice guy.
and I can take advantage too.

give him (and me) full function patch and stuff.
no just joking, let us get started…I found very hard to follow tutorials in Jitter while visually bored…it can help us to motivate go further in jitter.

thanks. (and thanks coffeecig)

September 8, 2010 | 2:20 pm

Well your two biggest blues are right there in the video..jit.matrixset and jit.unpack..he seems to be just taking the differences between the frames and then running those through jit.unpack to rip out the different color channels and then compositing these color channels back together with jit.pack…i have something similar (or similar in my mind) that is less jerky but with something like this, it kind of requires a jerkiness to show that effect which kind of sucks…I’ll track down what I have and put it up later..it’s mostly a motion detection effect that looks like my old video here: http://vimeo.com/628523

September 8, 2010 | 2:38 pm

oh, cooool!

at the beginning of yo video, those thermometric color pic kind of image!
the color saturation thing, man.

great.

I’ll have a look at the two objects you mentioned.

please come back though…

September 8, 2010 | 3:30 pm

Here you go…i might take a crack at the above effect sometime..but if you’ve waited two months I imagine you don’t want to do much of it yourself..

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

September 8, 2010 | 5:46 pm

This effect relies on taking a grayscale image (jit.rgb2luma) and delaying each color channel by some amount (jit.matrixset). The saturated areas are places where the color channels are representing different information because things move. So in order to replicate this sort of effect, you will need to create a video delay for each color channel, and then pack them all together using jit.pack.
The thing that’s going to make the difference between a goofy effect and something really cool is coming up with interesting ways to control the delay of each channel. You can probably also come up with other interesting ways to achieve the channel glitches, like manipulating each channel in different ways.

September 9, 2010 | 10:12 am

first of all,
I apologize to coffeecigs for having ‘snatched’ your thread.
If you feel that this goes to the direction that you have not expected, please tell me so that I can start a new thread on my own.

So, thanks for the replies.

This effect relies on taking a grayscale image (jit.rgb2luma) and delaying each color channel by some amount (jit.matrixset).

so far, I came up with this, to ‘delay’ each color channels.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

the reason why I made this ugly patch is that, to be honest, I have no idea what the hack is doing both [matrixset] and [jit.change]…after tried to understand with help files and reference, and some tutorial files…no way…

so this very primitive and stupid solution to delay color channels kinda works, but I’m quite sure that there’s some intelligent way to do it, with more control…(for example, the solution to make the "traces" of each channel last longer, not just immediately disappears after renewed frame. so that it can make kind of color shadow effect. and also, to control more precisely the delay, so that this ‘jumping frames’ make more sense artistically)
or maybe somebody can help me to understand those jitter objects that I can’t really understand…

to help you better understand my purpose, I’m developing a contemporary dance performance piece. with two or more cameras shooting dancers from different directions and project the image onto the dancers again…etc. and I look for some real time visual elements that can make sense also with my music done in max/msp.

thank you very much for your helps.
and again, coffeecigs, let me know if I bother you.

sincerely your friend,

jae ho

October 18, 2010 | 4:03 pm

http://blairneal.com/blog/jitter-example-color-channel-delay/

I decided to tackle this effect just to get more experience with matrixset…it will still glitch when you change the number of frames to delay, I’m not sure how to smooth it more because when you change the matrixcount in matrixset it dumps everything in there…one solution would be to leave the matrixcount at a high value and then change the index within that larger range. If anyone has any ideas about smoothing, let me know…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)