Forums > Jitter

gl LO-RYDER 5.8 – New Build for Public Consumption

February 13, 2009 | 10:13 pm

Hi List,
after a few more months of testing and tweaking we’re please to have a new build of the LO-RYDER application with much improved reliability and features. Would love to here comments or bug reports on this build from the jitter community, grab a copy of the build or the source here:

http://ctrl.dreamhosters.com/lo-ryder/gl-LORYDER_Build_v005.8.zip

http://ctrl.dreamhosters.com/lo-ryder/gl-Lowrider_v005.8_Source.zip

A short description of the app follows, but for the most part you can find out more on the blog site here:

http://www.c-trl.com/lo-ryder/

In light of the work done here it’s likely I’ll be taking over the v001 Library upkeep, with Vade’s blessing and guidance. This will probably deserve it’s own topic at some point.

ABOUT LO-RYDER
——————————————-
"GL LO-RYDER is a real time application for live video performance and experimental motion graphics. It’s reflects an evolutionary development specific to my own practice, bridging design, 3D animation and event based performance.

It’s been built around a "scene" based 3D environment in which you’re able to bring in diverse assets as modules, for instance 3D models, generative geometry or glSketch routines. Camera controls allow you to move around the scene, and most major GL attributes can be controlled from simple "graph editors" or other data streams.

It’s been built in Max/MSP+Jitter, utilizing jitter’s OpenGL framework as well many 3rd party objects and frameworks, standing "on the shoulders of giants" in many respects. Most notable is the use of the vade "v001" framework, not just as a GUI front end, but as a programming methodology, to achieve a modular, extensible and flexible application environment. In this spirit LO-RYDER is and will remain an Open Source project."

——————————————-

February 15, 2009 | 3:44 pm

pretty cool. I reallly like the lorenz line swirly generator.

It would be nice to have all the generators set up to show something when you select them, like the gridshape and plato an text do.. some of the others would be blank when I opened them and I would have to play around and try to get something to show up. Might have been something glitching, Ill have to look deeper later.

February 15, 2009 | 7:45 pm

Good Call, a few of the more complicated modules do require that some options be set up before you’ll see anything, so it may be misleading. That’s a second priority thing that I’d still wanted to take care of, so I’ll probably iron that out next.

Note there’s also no reset built into the texture panels, so if you select a new module it will still show the previous texture settings, but they won’t be applied. Lot’s of stuff like that still, so beware :)

-dev

February 17, 2009 | 1:05 am

yeah I noticed some things like that, but its pretty cool so far. Cant wait till its tweaked a bit more. A few things that will be really quick to change, that I noticed:

You should smoothe the data from the aka tilt sensor object, I had my laptop sitting still and it was so sensitive that it was jiggling anyway, and when I did move it sometimes it was quite jerky. nothing a little ($1 100) > [line 0.] cant fix.

A big thing would be implementing pattr saving of your settings for everything (would be nice to have them compartmentalized per component, and global for the whole patch). I am assuming you plan to do that. I thought it was already set up in the v001 framework? Am I wrong?

There were a few of the 3d generators that I just could not get anything out of, despite trying for quite a while. mainly the gridshape multiple I think.

There were alot of startup errors on my end also.. are there on yours? Ill post a log later if you like..

Looking forward to future versions!

February 17, 2009 | 4:45 am

couple things….First off thanks for this! looks really fun.

in the docs it says that it takes an unacceptably long time to load. ive letit load for about 10-15 mins and never loose the loading screen. could it be my setup> ( specs below ).

so, ill jump in and start to play around, can change the background color as it says to do. Then load a 3D Model, that seems to work a bit as well. then when i go to load the movie, the umenu shows lots of movies, way more than in the media folder, also, i havent added any. when trying to load movies, just see black in the preview window. kind of a noob with jitter, good with max and decent with msp. maybe you have some suggestions?
Thanks,
Michael

oh yah, — im using a macbook c2d 2ghz, 2 gigs o ram, crappy intel integrated vid card

February 17, 2009 | 8:33 pm

Micheal:
the app may be running even if the loading screen is still up (may be a bug there), just close it, you’ll know it’s running when the FPS counter is active.

When you select a movie it is loaded into a texture bank, but it will not start playing in your output window (again it’s not a video mixer :). Once a movie has been loaded you’ll need to texture it onto an object to see it, or set it to be the background texture in the background menu.

Other comments:
Yeah saving settings and presets is a big gaping hole right now. This is definitely on the list of things to address. This was in the original v001, but was lost in the shuffle as I rewrote a lot of the library. Anton and I are starting a full rewrite of v001 incorporating the "lo-ryder branch" of v001 and his own unreleased Javascript rewrite …. This may take awhile :)

Again thanks for all the suggestions. Would love to hear from anyone who’s been able to make their own modules, or if anyone has questions on this. Will post an update to the modules shortly.

February 18, 2009 | 8:44 am

Quote: dev.sim wrote on Tue, 17 February 2009 13:33
—————————————————-
>
> Micheal:
> the app may be running even if the loading screen is still up (may be a bug there), just close it, you’ll know it’s running when the FPS counter is active.
>
> When you select a movie it is loaded into a texture bank, but it will not start playing in your output window (again it’s not a video mixer :). Once a movie has been loaded you’ll need to texture it onto an object to see it, or set it to be the background texture in the background menu.
>
>
>
—————————————————-

I was just minimizing the window. the close window in the upper left corner is greyed out. but yeah the fps was going…

Also,i understand that i have to apply it to an object to see it. but isnt the preview window supposed to show the movie when i hit toggle preview? or not…

Thanks,
michael

February 22, 2009 | 11:48 pm

looks good, would be interested in doing some modules… will spend some time lookin into it… nice work, and thanks for making this open source!

justin

August 5, 2010 | 12:08 am

Hi, First thanks for this great looking patch!, but i can`t get this to work. I get lots of errors when I start. All the externals from the a-chaos lib are unknown type. also i cant load any geometry modules. Please help me out. I think this is the patch I was looking for a long time
Thank you

August 5, 2010 | 12:38 am

And when i start the standalone i get hundreds of "no such file in collective" errors ????????

January 26, 2011 | 5:41 pm

yes same thing is happening to me stoersignal. did you figure something out? once you run into a good max msp software and then it gives you 100 errors (not found errors) in the max console. ermm it’s just not cool. I want to get into module patching in max 5 and thought this program would help me, figure things out..

anyone.?

efe
January 26, 2011 | 10:52 pm

Check the vade’s libraries. As far as i remember LO-RYDER relies on them.

January 26, 2011 | 11:11 pm

thanks efe, I just finished my first vizzie style module, so ill be implementing all my patches, found shaders (vades’ libraries) etc into modules , for easy access. thanks again.

January 27, 2011 | 1:44 am

can the parameters be animated by midi?
can other 3D apps effects can be used other than maya paint fx such C4D mograph modules,
Realflow has awesome dynamics & fluid stimulation plugin for maya

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)