GL multislider / visualizations

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:49pm

GL multislider / visualizations

I’m looking for a way to reproduce a line-scrolling multislider in jitter (for data visualization – would let me shine it up a bit). I’ve looked at jit.fill a bit but am not getting what I’m looking for (at least not yet). I’d rather not draw the whole thing out point-by-point as I’m looking for at 256-512 points, at least.

tips/tricks?

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:08am

It might be helpful to know what kind of data you are trying to visualize.

here is a patch that acts like a multislider for audio, although it doesn’t let you click and drag value in. sorry it’s rough, it was a deadend on a project i was working on. check it out and if you have any questions shoot me back and i can walk you through it.

adam

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Sep 15, 2010 at 8:11pm

basically, the below is just a demo of the “line scroll” setting for [multislider], using [drunk] for input instead of something more meaningful. I’m just looking to recreate this “look” in Jitter so it can be a lil more flexible + sexy.

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:00am

Ok Billy, check out the these patches. I wasn’t able to recreate exactly what you wanted, I don’t know how to fill the area the below the datapoint. The only other idea that I had to get a matrix to look exactly like the multisider is to use opengl to draw rectangles, but that would be a little intense. maybe somebody else knows and easier way.

I left your drunk in both patches so that you can plop in whatever is generating your data. Let me know if you have any questions and send me a message if you finish whatever project you’re working on…

this patch uses a counter and a setcell message to draw through the matrix. can be set to reset with each new line. I really like what comes out when it starts to draw over itself.

this patch is a little more interesting. it uses matrix feedback so that a matrix acts a little like the multislider. don’t have both patches open at the same time because the matrixes will mess with each other…

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:49pm

hey awdriggs that’s awfully good work if you cooked that up just for my interest! thanks! I’ll have to do some evaluation to see how flexible I can make the matrix. I guess the last question I’d have for you would be regarding how to fill in the spaces below the data points…otherwise, this has been extremely helpful.

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:58am

I had some of those parts worked up while I was working on an interactive installation. check it out if you are interested http://adamdriggers.tumblr.com/, it is the voice landscape. The feedback I stole from luke dubois’ soundlump patch in the jitter examples.

you might be able to use jit.expr to write an expression that will fill all of the y values under your y datapoint. You’ll need a jit.iter to iterate through the y values and a set cell message. If I have a few minutes this weekend I’ll try to set one up. Try to learn our problems has taught/reminded me of a few things!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.