Forums > Jitter

good webcam for Jitter?

August 13, 2008 | 11:18 pm

Hello,

just wondering of anybody has any suggestions for a decent webcam for Jitter. I am a newbie to max and jitter and very new to image software.

I did a search of the list and found an article written in Feb 2007 with some recommendations but that’s 18 months ago so some of the products are no longer available and possibly there are better alternatives now.

http://www.cycling74.com/twiki/bin/view/FAQs/JitterCameras

In the article it said Firewire was better than USB. I’m wondering if that’s just USB 1 or USB 2. I found a really cheap USB 2 webcam I could buy.

Also the article mentions really fast frames rates with IBot getting 97fps. In all the reviews I’ve seens of different webcams the fps is usually quoted as upto 30fps. Nobody mentions frames rates this higher. The Ibot quotes "more than 30fps" but thats a bit expensive for me.

Has anybody used any of the Logitech webcams with Jitter? I am running Vista so…

thanks

Ken

August 13, 2008 | 11:27 pm

I am LOVING the output from the Logitch QuickCam Pro 9000 – It looks
better than many DV-cameras I’ve worked with, it’s got autofocus and
records at 960*720 – 30fps, usb2. It also works fantastically in
low-light situations.
With webcams you -generally – get what you pay for, although some of the
ultra-cheap cams have lights on them, which makes them uber-useful for
recording odd night-time stuff.

Generally I wouldn’t get anything less than something with autofocus.

Hope this helps,
Andreas.

Grizzle skrev:
> Hello,
>
> just wondering of anybody has any suggestions for a decent webcam for Jitter. I am a newbie to max and jitter and very new to image software.
>
> I did a search of the list and found an article written in Feb 2007 with some recommendations but that’s 18 months ago so some of the products are no longer available and possibly there are better alternatives now.
>
> http://www.cycling74.com/twiki/bin/view/FAQs/JitterCameras
>
> In the article it said Firewire was better than USB. I’m wondering if that’s just USB 1 or USB 2. I found a really cheap USB 2 webcam I could buy.
>
> Also the article mentions really fast frames rates with IBot getting 97fps. In all the reviews I’ve seens of different webcams the fps is usually quoted as upto 30fps. Nobody mentions frames rates this higher. The Ibot quotes "more than 30fps" but thats a bit expensive for me.
>
> Has anybody used any of the Logitech webcams with Jitter? I am running Vista so…
>
> thanks
>
> Ken
>
>
>
> .
>
>

August 13, 2008 | 11:32 pm

I have an iSight. It works fine, but it is sometimes hard to deal with the unavoidable autofocus especially in tracking situations.
I think a large topic could be feed on these questions, in all case essentials for newbies, no-pro videographers(?) and artists.
I’m still wondering how could I precisely connect several cams in jitter…

August 14, 2008 | 3:28 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I was looking at the Logitech 9000 it’s pretty cheap/ USB 2. It has a pretty sharp image as well.

Another one around the same price is the Live! Cam Optia AF. It’s USB class compliant so you don’t have to install drivers. Would I be right in thinking this will improve latency?

Also it has selectable manual and auto focus. Am I right in thinking manual focus might be better for tracking and motion detection?
The article I mentioned states Firewire webcams are better. However there are problems with Firewire on a windows laptop. Namely windows laptops don’t come with 6 pin firewire connections so the webcam would have to be powered externally. A USB 2 webcam would be more suitable but there does not seem to be a huge amount of information on the list.

Again any advice would be appreciated. Or if anybody has experience of the Live! Cam Optia.

thanks again

Ken

August 14, 2008 | 6:09 pm

I’ve just bought a Sony Playstation eye for my mac using the macam driver.

it has an adjustable field of view which is a nice feature and has built in mics (although i’ve not checked if they are accessable individually). it says that the fps can go upto 120fps on the ps3 but unfortunately the drivers only allow 30fps which is a shame.
picture quality seems to be a little bit grainy but seems a bit better than the picture from my macbook pros camera.

im planning to plug 2 of these in to make some anaglyphic style videos but i’ve read that some people have problems with 1 camera (as it supposedly uses quite a bit of usb bandwidth) let alone 2 of them!

anyone tried 2 of these or had any experience with 2 good cameras?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)