Forums > MaxMSP

Granular stream object – independent grain duration, freq, delay

November 14, 2009 | 3:45 am

Does anyone know of a granular synthesis object that outputs a single grain stream (not a cloud) and allows for independent control of each grains frequency, grain duration and delay duration?

I’ve created one but I’d like it be audio-rate, if possible without using Max events, bangs, etc. All in MSP. If anyone has any ideas, I’d love to hear them.

Wade

November 16, 2009 | 12:26 am

Nobody? Does anyone have any ideas on how to make my own patch as MSP-based/non-scheduler-based as possible?

November 16, 2009 | 12:55 am

Have you checked out Nathan Wolek’s granular toolkit?

http://www.lowkeydigitalstudio.com/category/maxmsp/

November 16, 2009 | 1:07 am

You may also want to check out [munger~], I usually use it to make clouds, but depending on the settings you choose, it could be used for streams as well.

The granular toolkit linked is also worth taking a look at because if I recall from when I played with that a few years ago, it was stream oriented.

November 16, 2009 | 1:48 am

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by "MSP-based/non-scheduler-based as possible", but you might want to check out the granular-synthesis capabilities of languages that you can imbed within max/msp:

csound~
rtcmix~
sc3~
chuck~

brad
http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

November 16, 2009 | 5:38 am

Yes, I’ve tried the granular toolkit many times. It doesn’t offer independent control of frequency, grain duration and grain delay. I haven’t found an external that does.

When I say I want the patch to be audio-rate, I mean I want it be calculating at the sample rate (which may be 44100 Hz.) and not the Max scheduler speed which is a lot slower. If I use Max objects to send lists, bangs and the like to control my synthesis, the object will only run at scheduler speed. I can always turn on audio interrupt which helps a bit but still not ideal.

I could look into writing something in another language. Brad, which one would be easiest to learn? I have some experience with CSound, but don’t really enjoy using it. Smile

November 16, 2009 | 8:03 am

you might want to check ftm and gabor

ftm.ircam.fr

the most powerful granular tool on MSP I’ve seen!

a little cumbersome to get around at first, but it worth the hassle.

pa

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)