Granular Synthesis Engine Woes

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:49pm

Granular Synthesis Engine Woes

Hello, I am trying to build a granular synthesis engine and I am have some difficulties. I am use the grain.phase~ external from the Nathan Wolek’s granular toolkit. I am trying to manipulate the output of a phasor~ object so the I can maintain it’s frequency, while changing the length of its slope. This will allow me to change the length of the grain, while maintain a constant frequency of grains per second. I believe there are two problem’s with how I am approaching it: The first is that the grain.phase~ object will continue to produce a sound even if it is sent a signal with a value of 0. The second problem comes from how I am changing the phasor~ signal. First I clip the signal, the multiple it by the reciprocal of the amount I clip it. (for example, I clip it by .5, then multiply by 2) This gives me a slope a slope of exactly have the frequency of the phasor object. Then I apply a !=~ 1. object to the signal, so that it will go back down to 0. But i think the last step causes a problem because I want the signal to hit 1. first and then go back to zero. I hope that the above makes sense, any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

I have included the patch with grain.phase~ and the files that are sent to the necessary buffers.

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:01pm

oops, it appears my attachment is too big, here is the patch, without the files for the buffers, or the external.

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:31pm

Try using pong~ in fold mode; it sounds like it will do what you’re trying to do.

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:16pm

Thanks. Never used Pong~, it seems like a useful object, among many others I am most probably unaware of! Although there was still the problem with grain.phase~ always sampling part of the buffer even when a 0 signal value is sent to it. I swapped it for wave~ and things are sounding the way I want. Cheers

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.