Forums > MaxMSP

Granular synthesis sound level control

September 9, 2013 | 3:34 pm

Hi!
I am using a granular synthesis patch associated with an ambisonic spatialisation engine. I have a problem : when I use long grains overlapping, the level is higher, of course, than with short grains. The level contributes to the perception of distance. If I simulate a far away source, with long grains, the effect is biased. Also, the level of a grain is determined by the spectrum characteristics, and therefore, flattening all the grains of the signal would affect the quality of the synthesis. Would anyone recommend a method to control the level of the grains with respect to their duration, for one same audio file chunk? I am not a big fan of compression and I don’t have much experience with it. Looked at the tutorial patches of MSP but I am not sure how to proceed.
Thanks!

September 9, 2013 | 3:49 pm

I’d get whichever value is dictating the grain length, and use that value as a multiplier for the grain volume.

Kind of hard to say anything more specific without knowing how the patch is constructed, of course, but that’s the logical course of action, I’d say.

September 9, 2013 | 3:52 pm

Thanks! That’s smart, I’ll try!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)