Forums > MaxMSP

granulizing

nit
November 28, 2008 | 12:05 pm

i’m interested in granulized sampling.
problem is i’m still quite a max noob and i can’t find a tutorial about this. i looked at the ‘granulized’ max example but this is a little bit too much for me. i don’t get it.

is there an easier way to learn about this? could anybody help me along?

November 28, 2008 | 4:24 pm

Hi,

For starters…

Take a look at The Computer Music Tutorial by Curtis Roads. This book is a little dated but remains an excellent resource for all things digital audio and includes a comprehensive explanation of various granular synthesis techniques.

Also, explore the attached Granular synthesis patch. This is a great patch made by Nobuyasu Sakonda. (Unfortunately I don’t have max on this computer so I haven’t been able to check that this file works. If you have problems just look for his Granular 2.5 patch on Google).

I have recently been using Nathan Wolek’s Granular Toolkit (Search in the forums or go to Maxobjects.com and take a look there). This is a set of useful objects for creating your own granular apps in Max.

I am no expert but found each of these resources very helpful when I started learning about Granular Synthesis.

Bests,

Nick

November 28, 2008 | 6:14 pm

wit skrev:
> i’m interested in granulized sampling.
> problem is i’m still quite a max noob and i can’t find a tutorial about this. i looked at the ‘granulized’ max example but this is a little bit too much for me. i don’t get it.
>
> is there an easier way to learn about this? could anybody help me along?
>
sure, I’d love to help! How far along in the max and msp tutorials are you?

November 28, 2008 | 8:31 pm

>> i’m interested in granulized sampling.
>> problem is i’m still quite a max noob and i can’t find a tutorial about this.
>> i looked at the ‘granulized’ max example but this is a little bit too much
>> for me. i don’t get it.
>>
>> is there an easier way to learn about this? could anybody help me along?
>>
> sure, I’d love to help! How far along in the max and msp tutorials are you?

Reading about granulation on Curtis Roads’ Computer Music Tutorial /
Microsound books may be useful.
J-F.

November 28, 2008 | 11:05 pm

perhaps just keep working with max till the granular example patch makes sense to you. it will eventually. i was once in your shoes but just the other week i took another look at that patch and could actually follow the patchcords and what it all meant. just takes time to be able to read the max language.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)