Forums > Dev

Graph structure in Max5 API – Buffer-like shared memory

March 12, 2009 | 9:28 am

Hi !

I’m starting to code externals in C/C++ in Max5 API which implements a graph structure.

The architecture which would be conceptually the best is to split the different functions on the graph in different externals.

This would mean something like a common memory declared by on of the external (as a buffer~ does for audio data) therefore linked through a symbol (let say "graph" for example). And then, some other externals to write the graph (probably unique), read the graph (eventually numerous) and all other functions one could code for a graph (visualize, utilize…). These would use "graph" to address the memory instanciated before.

Does someone have already implemented externals using such kind of references one to another ?
Any suggestions of particular features of the Max5 API which could be handful for this ?

I’ve been advised that instead of the argument-based declaration of the common memory (as in buffer~) an attribute-based declaration would be more Max5-fashioned. But does it changes the way the symbol ("graph", previously declared) is to be linked with the shared memory ?

Any remarks, suggestion will be appreciated…

Thank you

BenCello

March 12, 2009 | 9:51 am

good morning (9.46)

I don’t properly how to code externals in c/c++, although I’ve done some abstractions (which is relatively easy)..

I’ve just noticed that you signed your post as bencello? do you have cello studies? (I play alto viola)

if yes, would you like to make some colaborative stuff, by exchanging both patches in max5, and audio files, to make something to release somewhere?

greets

Ch
July 2, 2009 | 3:08 pm

Hi BenCello,

I’m interested about "Buffer-like shared memory" too.

Quote:
Any remarks, suggestion will be appreciated…

Did you get any since your post?
If so, please consider sharing it Smile

Ch.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)