Forums > MaxMSP

Graphical display of objects

November 1, 2007 | 2:57 am

hi everybody,

I’m trying to find a way to display a part of a patcher without having to do this every time with a bpatcher. I mean, when I create a patcher that I want only a graphical part of it to be visible, I usually have to create a bpatcher in the main patcher, associate it with this patcher and select the offset to send to the thispatcher. Instead of this, I want to instantly display the graphical part of the patcher when I create the object typing it in the main patcher. I tried with javascript, this way: in a js object inside the patcher, automatically create a new bpatcher in the parent patcher associated with the patcher, send the desired offset and delete the old object. Although I had some problems with this approach, I think that I will fix it. But is there any other smarter way to do it?

FunnyZen

November 1, 2007 | 5:33 am

A couple ideas:

- Is the offset really necessary? When I make bpatchers, I move everything up to the far upper left before saving so I never have to send the offset message. The offset feature is more for when you want your bpatcher to be a "scrolling window" that can display different sections of the bpatcher at different times.

- If you use a bpatcher widget a lot, try setting it up as clipping so you can add it via the "Paste from" menu. See the Max Fundamentals pdf.

If you do those two things, you may not need javascript.

Also consider using pvar to detach your GUI objects from everything else. Then move all the non-GUI objects off to one side and hide them so all you see is the GUI objects when the patch is locked. This kind of approach will get easier with the presentation mode feature coming in Max 5.

-Adam

November 1, 2007 | 11:01 am

What I am trying to do is something like the ready objects provided with max, you type uslider for example and have a uslider designed instantly. But I’ll try using clippings, it may be enough, thanks.

FunnyZen

November 1, 2007 | 11:55 am

Adam Murray schrieb:
> – If you use a bpatcher widget a lot, try setting it up as clipping
> so you can add it via the "Paste from" menu. See the Max Fundamentals
> pdf.

Or even better, save it as a prototype for bpatcher…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

November 1, 2007 | 4:31 pm

Quote: Stefan Tiedje wrote on Thu, 01 November 2007 04:55
—————————————————-
>
> Or even better, save it as a prototype for bpatcher…
>

Oh, right. That makes more sense. Clippings are good to paste in a group of bpatchers/whatever.

I wish bpatcher could take the patch name as an argument instead of making us open up the inspector. Then we could use shortcuts with bpatchers too.

(BTW the Editing chapter of the Max Topics guide explains prototypes, clippings, shortcuts)

-Adam

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)