Graphical interface for a biquad filter, problems…

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:48pm

Graphical interface for a biquad filter, problems…

Hello,

I’m triying to build a GUI for a single Biquad filter (using a biquad~ object), using only peaknotch mode.

I have the following requirements:

- having number boxes to enter frequency, gain, q
- having a gui to do the EQ (obviously i’m using the filtergraph~ object for that)
- having the same aforementioned number boxes updating while tweaking the filtergraph

So far I can’t find a way to achieve this (tried a lot of things since about 3 hours..)

I can do that for a gain~ object (either use the fader, or type in the number boxe that display the fader position)
But can’t find a way with filtergraph…

Any idea would be much appreciated.

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:08am

You can patch number boxes to the last three inlets and connect the second, third and fourth outlets with a [prepend set] between each which should mean they keep each other updated.

Mar 3, 2011 at 8:41am

Thanks for your answer!

unfortunatly, it doesn’t work, because the gain and Q inlet do not understand the set parameter.
In fact only the frequency inlet does understand it and it wants after a message with the three informations: Freq, Gain, Q.
Then it seems to be no big deal, I use a pack obect to pack freq, gain, Q, then use the prepend set object, and route that into the freq inlet.

the problem is that then if you type a number into the freq, gain, Q float boxes, only the Freq does refresh the value into the filtergraph object. Gain and Q have no effect.
I guess it is because they are not sent in the left most inlet of the pack object, and hence do not trigger a message output when changed.
So I used a trigger object: t b f for Gain, and one for Q, so that a change of gain and Q does trigger a message.

Problem is then that one cannot move any more the Gui of filtergraph to change an EQ!

So back to the beginning.

see both examples here:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:54am

I meant with a [prepend set] into each number box. Perhaps an example demonstrates better:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Mar 3, 2011 at 10:13am

indeed your exemple works…

I really wonder what I did before, because it seems I tried the exact same thing and that it didn’t worked at that time, hence my attemps to find workarounds… which means the problem in that case was me!

thanks a lot for sorting me out, I was stuck here for a long time!

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:26am

Ok, I got my mistake:

the prepend I used was after the float box, instead of before…

I must say that it doesn’t seems logical to me, but it works, so there is something I don’t get here. I’ll keep digging.

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:05am

And now I understand!

set has an action on the float boxes, which do not output in return. and we do not use set on the filtergraph object (which was my mistake before)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.