Forums > MaxMSP

Gregory Taylor's M4L Video

March 1, 2009 | 6:36 pm

Thanks to Greg for this video. It doesn’t tell us a whole lot more than we already knew but it’s still a good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq6Y7cE5mfA

March 1, 2009 | 10:39 pm

What? A live video shot in the middle of a trade show
that doesn’t contain massive amounts of nerdy insider
secrets? How could that have happened????

March 1, 2009 | 10:53 pm

One thing I gleaned from the video that hasn’t been told is how the M4L device "Presentation Mode" seems to be handled. It looks like there is a partition in the patcher that separates the "guts" from the GUI, which seems to sit in a rectangular space that corresponds to Live’s device strip.

March 1, 2009 | 11:23 pm

Not really. What you’re seeing is a visual reminder of the size of the final panel you’re going to be working with, provided as a service to the plucky Max/MSP device creator. The normal daily business of setitng your patch to open in Presentation Mode using the Patcher Inspector and all that’s still the same/no surprises.

March 1, 2009 | 11:44 pm

Right, that’s basically how I understood it, I just called it "Presentation Mode" because it’s essentially limiting where you can put the front end that’s seen in Live, whether your objects are actually in Presentation Mode or not.

March 1, 2009 | 11:53 pm

I was excited about the confirmation that Max can control Live itself, – especially you’re mention of generative music.
Smile

March 1, 2009 | 11:58 pm

The question I have is that if M4L will have no direct audio or midi control outside of Live, will M4L be able to send and receive OSC messages outside of Live? This isn’t addressed in the FAQ.

March 2, 2009 | 1:10 am

I cant tell you how excited I am for max for live and the apc40!!!

man!!! ahhh!!!! finally trustworthy live max/msp/jitter sets not worrying about rewire or sync issues!!! I remember when I first started using max in os9 max 4.2 I think.. it would crash so often and I never trusted it to perform live.. I only did a few gigs with it and they went awesome except there would always be some issue, like a hang or a buffer fart or something.. now with max 5 and Im sure max inside live its so stable and trustworthy and I can finally use all the really great easy to use live tools as well as the awesome max/jitter tools.. whole AV performances on one laptop, and with the bad ass apc40 I will be able to not do the whole "checking email" set. Ive switched to using a nord g2 and kp3 for live sets lately, but it will be great to integrate those things with ableton.. and have the computer be a part of everything again.. I can use ableton to sequence the nord and loop percussion and use the rest of my cpu and gpu to do GL vid live!! syncd!! wooooooooooohooo!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)