Forums > Jitter

gridshape rotatexyz behavior

October 11, 2010 | 8:21 am

When using rotatexyz, a change in rotation around the X axis doesn’t affect the orientation of the Y and Z axes; the Y axis is always up and down and Z is always front to back. However, a change in rotation in the Y axis does affect the X axis orientation, but not Z. Furthermore, a change in the Z axis affects the orientation of both X and Y axes. What I would like to do is have rotation be completely relative. In other words, I want the X value of rotatexyz to always flip top to bottom in relation to the camera, regardless of Y and Z values. I’ve been trying to work around this strange behavior of rotatexyz and can’t seem to wrap my head around it. Is there a way to keep rotation strictly relative to the camera? Attached is a basic patch to test what I’ve described.

Thanks,

-Paul

October 13, 2010 | 1:20 am

Sorry, I can’t check your patch on this computer but it sounds like your describing a type of "gimbal lock"? Can you add another gimbal(degree of freedom)? There are objects for easy conversion to quaternions.

October 15, 2010 | 7:08 am

After some more research I can say it is totally the "gimbal lock" problem and I believe I can achieve what I want in my patch using quaternions. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :)

By the way, I stumbled across this in my searching and had my mind blown:

http://www.allosphere.ucsb.edu/cosm/

Probably old news to most of you forum folks, but I thought it couldn’t hurt to spread the word to those who haven’t seen it yet and stumble upon this post. Amazing work Wes and Graham!

September 29, 2014 | 5:45 am

Hey Paul, I think I’m having the same problem. Don’t know where to start – quaternions?
Any direction / help would be appreciated

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)