Hardware and configuration optimization on macmini for video

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:13pm

Hardware and configuration optimization on macmini for video

Hello,

I’ve got problems on Max6 with a patch using a lot of access to video files and writing sound files to the hard drive at the same time…
I need to use it a full day on a macmini and it crashes.
the patch works perfectly during 3 hours and the video freeze.
I tried to copy videofiles on an external hard drive, so I read the video files from the external HD and I write and read audiofiles on the internal drive on the macmini, and the problem is the same… after 3 hours Max crashes (no answer), the video freeze on the screen (the audio continue playing…)
So does someone has an idea to optimize the configuration of the macmini. I don’t know if the problem comes from RAM or Hard drive or something else…

thanks…

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:29pm

what kind of macmini you have?

maybe post a patch ?

what codecs/resolution you use?

what messages are in the console window ?

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:25pm

It’s the last macmini (2011) (the best configuration selled on apple store 2,5 Ghz intel with 4gB ram)
I use Hd video 1920×1080 quicktime movies with a photojpeg codec (approximately 2 minutes each video) but i need in the patch to use a lot of “read” jit.qt.movie. I use the opengl method to optimize and it works great when i’m not writing/reading sound data at the same time.
I would like to use this player and write sound data at the same time and when i do this the video freeze sometimes, nothing in the console windows but finder tell me that max don’t answer…
I think that the computer or the app don’t like to read a lot of different videofiles during sounddata are writed on the hard disk and red to… but i’m not sure…
I tried to put video files on an external hard drive and soundfiles on an other and the problem is the same.
Have you ever had this kind of problems ?

Thanks…

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:20am

With this little information, it’s hard to make a guess, but one thing you might try is to separate the video and audio sections and run them in two different instances of Max….

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:40pm

Maybe make sure you’re not trying to read any of the files that you’re in the process of writing to.

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:09pm

I’ll try soon your suggestions and come back

thanks for your answers !

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.