Forums > Jitter

[Hardware] multiple video outputs from one computer

December 8, 2007 | 3:37 am

Hi maxlist,

I am working on a large project which requires the use of multiple projectors outputting various video streams. This is for a performance which needs to be portable and easy to setup. I have a macbook pro which will be used for all the video processing. I have not been able to find information on using multiple video outs from one computer. Will this require multiple computers to achieve?

December 8, 2007 | 3:54 am

Hey Sol

look at the triple head to go or the double head to go

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/cadgis/products/th2go/th2go.php

else – yes – multiple computers –

I use 2 networked macbook pros to drive 2 projectors and my sound…

I found that a tower just was not a real option for me for touring …

best of luck –
jamie

—– Original Message —-
Sent: Friday, December 7, 2007 10:37:12 PM
Subject: [jitter] [Hardware] multiple video outputs from one computer

Hi maxlist,

I am working on a large project which requires the use of multiple
projectors outputting various video streams. This is for a performance
which needs to be portable and easy to setup. I have a macbook pro which
will be used for all the video processing. I have not been able to find
information on using multiple video outs from one computer. Will this
require multiple computers to achieve?

December 8, 2007 | 4:10 am

Woah this is exactly what I was looking for. The laptop will be dedicated to video processing and will be recieving the control data via ethernet. Will a single macbook pro 2.16ghz 512mb ram be able to process and output to three projectors without any delay or latency issues?

December 9, 2007 | 10:54 am

To get an answer for this you need to supply more info-
the answer to this may wildly vary according to your video playing and processing needs, and networking strategy (broadcasting jitter video, or only control data, etc.). You need to supply more details on what you are planning to output: straight quicktime, processed matrices, opengl (which you may not broadcast through the jitter networking objects but must either read back to matrixland or broadcast only the control data). Also relevant are the pixel dimensions of your output.

Concerning multiple stream solutions, you can sometimes also improvise, such as outputting one stream via the video out and another through firewire (which again limits you to matrix output).

-nadav

December 9, 2007 | 11:22 am

With a triple head 2 go, you’ll have to be careful about pixel fill
rates from your GPU. Relatively expensive shaders like phong shading
can add up quickly on large display dimensions, especially if each
frame has lots of objects that are nearly screen size. This can be
counteracted by rendering to texture smaller than screen size but you
will lose some quality although in most cases a good compromise can be
found.

wes

On Dec 7, 2007 8:10 PM, Solomon Bothwell wrote:
>
> Woah this is exactly what I was looking for. The laptop will be dedicated to video processing and will be recieving the control data via ethernet. Will a single macbook pro 2.16ghz 512mb ram be able to process and output to three projectors without any delay or latency issues?
>
>

PKM
March 9, 2008 | 10:06 pm

How has the triple head 2 go worked out? I am looking to buy one in case I cannot acquire some extra computers for an install. I just did a quick search online and some MBP users are having problems with the Matrox Drivers and are instead using SwitchResX (http://vjforums.com/showthread.php?t=21609)? Has anyone had some experience with MBP and the Triple Head 2 Go they can share? Or perhaps the Dual Head 2 Go? Did you have to use Analog or Digital?

And is it safe to assume that if I create a window the size of 3360×1050, the frame rate I get on my MBP single display would be the same as the Matrox Output?

Thanks!

f.e
March 10, 2008 | 11:12 am

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)