Hello, could movement tracking leave trace on screen?

May 24, 2012 at 8:18am

Hello, could movement tracking leave trace on screen?

Hello, I’m new to Max. What I’m doing is movement tracking, and what I wish for, is that the movement tracking will leave a trace on the screen.
example: your arm would work like a paint brush. If anyone know about any patches or objects, messages I could use, I would be really grateful, since I’ve been struggling for quite some time now. (any help would be useful)
thanks

May 24, 2012 at 8:38am

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Please show us what you have so far. Try searching this forum for “motion blur”.

Brendan

May 24, 2012 at 9:02am

thank you :)
So this is what I’m working with at the moment. What I’m trying to do, is to create an installation that’s tracking your movement, and leaving a trace that will stay on screen.

Right now it is leaving a trace, but just for a couple of seconds. I’m not even sure why. I’m new to Max Msp, so I’ve basically just tried random stuff so far. I will check out the motion blur to see if it could help me.

May 24, 2012 at 9:48am

I checked out the motion blur, but I’m not sure if that’s what I’m looking for. If you look at my patch, there will be animation where ever there is movement, but I want this animation to last for much longer, as they are fayding away after half a second. If I could time the fayding time, that would be perfect.
thanks.

May 24, 2012 at 9:52am

A trace is really not more than feedback. If you add a percentage of the result to the source you’ll get a trace. The bigger the feedback, the longer the trace. This works for video, audio but also numbers.

May 24, 2012 at 10:14am

Hello, thanks for the answer. Is there any way you could show me this if it doesn’t take too long. Sorry, but as I’m new I don’t even know how to do the simplest things. here is my code.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
May 24, 2012 at 10:35am

Hi
I modified your patch slightly so (i think) it works better:

but I’m sure theres more sophisticated ways of doing it.

May 24, 2012 at 11:07am

hey, thank you :) that’s actually great help! The only thing I don’t like, is how the screen gets a lot of white “animation” when there is a lot of movement, but I’ll try and work out something tomorrow :) cheers!

May 28, 2012 at 3:24am

Hello, I’ve been really struggling lately with what I want to do, and I’m currently really stuck.

I believe what I want to do in general, is to create an installation that tracks new movement or changes in the picture, and draws it on top of the older movement, in a way like drawing in layers.

Example:
There is a white background, and for the next seconds a lot of people will walk in front of the background. All the people walking in front of the background will leave a trace, and after lets say 30 seconds, when u look at the final outcome, the picture will be full of arms, body’s, heads etc. So all the people walking in front of the background, would work as paint brushes. SO basically new movement is drawn on top of none moving objects, until lets say the background changes to green, then the whole screen would become green, since it’s the latest change on the screen.

Sorry for this probably unbelievable confusing description, but I’m not sure how to describe it any other way.

At the moment I’m using the slide function and changing the metro values to leave a trail, but the problem is that this wont last for long, + it makes a person almost invisible until the person is appearing again. I’m find with beeing half invisible, but the trail is the problem. If I increase the METRO to lets say 500 to make the trail last longer, (it wont last long anyways, since I’m looking for eternal trail) it will start lagging a lot. So I basically need a better solution for this.

I need to get this done by the next days, so I really appreciate any help!

May 28, 2012 at 8:03pm

anyone that know about any patches or anything at all that could be of the slightest help? thanks

May 28, 2012 at 11:50pm

yep, I do. go to the support menu at the top of this page and select the “TUTORIALS” item– it may sound facetious, but there’s actually a wealth of highly structured useful information there; even seasoned users access the tutorials, recipes, etc as a matter of course

btw ‘increasing’ the metro to 500 actually slows it down, it should be set to correspond to the frame rate of your camera (ie 33.3 ms corresponds to 30 frames per second)

May 29, 2012 at 12:41am

ok, thank you for the information. I’ve now also figured that what I want to do, is basically to just refresh the image on movement(not the whole image, but the parts that have had movement). I will try to figure this out now, thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.