hello, I'm back in the fold and have a possibly silly question about two objects

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:05pm

hello, I'm back in the fold and have a possibly silly question about two objects

hi,

so i’ve been out of the maxmsp world for a while and just diving back in.
(i won’t do a big re-introduction, suffice to say hello all, I’m a composer/theatre-maker based in Bristol(uk), info on what i’m up to is at http://duncanspeakman.net and http://subtlemob.com )

Loving MAX5 (yes it has been a while) but I have two quick questions. .

1. Is it not possible to change the destination of a ‘send’ object using a ‘set’ message, was this never possible?, I’ve always done it with ‘send~’ object but now i just want to be able to dynamically route some numbers!

2. the ‘dial’ interface object doesn’t seem to give a steady number update when you have vertical mouse tracking on (e.g. no matter how carefully i move my mouse it outputs 3,6,9 etc etc. when i want it to go 3,4,5,6,7,8,9) this behaviour seems consistent no matter what degree setting i use?

ok, that’s all

best

duncan

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:13pm

You can use a set message to receive to change the send it receives from, and if you hold shift and drag on dial it outputs in increments of 1.

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:20pm

With regards to the dial issue, I had the same problem. There is no way (it appears) to make a normal dial change this behaviour, but if you can use a live.dial then by default it smooths the input and avoids this problem (though you cannot resize the dial). Alternatively you can make the normal dial a lot bigger on screen, as this seems to be a graphical scaling issue.

Personally, I would LOVE to see a feature for the normal dial which makes it behave like a live.dial, or the ability to change the colors and size of a live.dial, but hey ho …

Eddy

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:20pm

The forward object might be useful.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:17pm

aaah.. thanks for the dial tip! but..
“You can use a set message to receive to change the send it receives from..”

i have this in place, but i’m making a ‘really’ flexible system, where each module can choose what it receives from or sends to . . e.g. i might have something already going to a specific receive, and then i want to send more things to the same place :), so they need to be able to change there destination..

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:21pm

and the ‘forward’ object is great! thanks

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:50pm

If you hold shift while changing a [dial] it will increment step by step rather than in jumps of 3.

lh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.