Forums > MaxMSP

help! – multiple patch selection question

May 5, 2009 | 12:01 am

Hello all, i have a quick question.

Is it possible to create a "DVD-like" menu to select different patches?

I need to create two different patches for my final project. One for intermediate users and one for advanced users. Both patches are near completion but i need a way to allow the user to select which patch they would like to mess around with.

What I was hoping to do was create something similar to a dvd menu screen which would allow the user to load up either patch, embeded into each patch would be an option to go back to the menu, or something like that.

Does anyone know a way to achieve this either in max/msp or using another program altogether.

ANY response is welcome and grateful, i have a couple of weeks to experiment with different ideas.

Thanks!
d

May 5, 2009 | 12:51 am

You can save your patches and then open them with [pcontrol], or load them in the main patcher window using [bpatcher] and the "offset" message. If the two patches are similar you could even script moving the objects positions slightly and hiding/showing certain parts of your patch. There are lots of possibilities for doing something like this in max.

lh

May 5, 2009 | 1:06 am

thanks for the quick response. my main concern is also with CPU usage. do any of these methods mean both patches are running and using the processor simultaneously? ideally, i would like to limit CPU usage depending on which patch is in use.

thanks again.

d

May 5, 2009 | 1:10 am

Having more than one patch open shouldn’t cause problems but you could turn off the DSP in the patch that you’re not using. Look at the "startwindow" message to [dac~] or perhaps better is using the "mute" message to [poly~]. The helpfile and reference should explain it for you.

lh

May 5, 2009 | 6:56 am
fuud wrote on Tue, 05 May 2009 03:06
ideally, i would like to limit CPU usage depending on which patch is in use.

You might want to use poly~ with a single voice, and simply load dynamically your patch into it…

Stefan

Ch
May 5, 2009 | 9:24 am

Quote:You can save your patches and then open them with [pcontrol], or load them in the main patcher window using [bpatcher] and the "offset" message. If the two patches are similar you could even script moving the objects positions slightly and hiding/showing certain parts of your patch. There are lots of possibilities for doing something like this in max.

lh

An other possibility is to change the file that is loaded in the bpatcher :

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

You could also have several bpatchers, and use the hidden attribute to only diplay the choosen one.
ch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)