Forums > MaxMSP

Help needed Newbie (Mono-capability tool}

October 6, 2013 | 3:03 pm

Greetings to the wonderful cycling 74 community

I have recently just began a MA in Audio Engineering and have had two lectures on a module based around Max msp.
Being more of a sound engineer than a sound designer/composer, I have never had the pleasure of using Max in any shape or form, and the idea of programming within musical software is one that is very alien to me.
My first impressions of the program have been various ones of interest, ambition and in most cases despair.

I am expected to select an area of interest for a detail design project, propose the project to the lecturer, before creating and executing this proposal 2 months later.
After getting used to the very basics of the program, and brainwaving for a lengthy period, I have decided to (somehow) execute a patch based around the monaural fold-down of stereo sound.

Within the sound engineering (mixing, mastering) domain, there has been much talk about the translation of stereo sound into mono forms of consumption. I hope that within the next 2 months, I will be able to design a tool which looks for phase discrepancies between channels, and remedying it before summing (in other words, improving the mono capability of the selected stereo file). The module leader has said, that project can be based around audio analysis, rewire implication + integration with other software and Fast-Fourier transform, I hope to cover all of these elements within my project.

If someone could be so kind to tell me the best media and resources, patch types, other information etc that I should look into if I want to make this project possible I would be eternally grateful? I understand that there will be a lengthy process of research, trial and error before creating a patch as described above. Comments based around the integration of a patch with Pro Tools/Logic would also be appreciated.
If you Max veterans believe that I have bitten off way more than I can digitally chew within the next 2 months, then please feel free to pull me back down to earth, and break the news to me.

If you are still reading this pathetic plea, then thank you for your patience, and all answers will be eternally welcomed from a complete newbie of this program.

Thanks

Brute

October 6, 2013 | 5:06 pm

bump, really need help with this guys

October 6, 2013 | 11:24 pm

As a point of departure the first question could be to ask what the difference in the result (if any) might be expected between your proposed method and Mid/Side (MS) Encoding of a stereo signal to extract a mono signal (M). AFAIK that seems to be a pretty robust method to do what you are trying to…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)