help with compiling C++ external

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:36am

help with compiling C++ external

Hi guys,

This probably is a very simple question, but I have never used max/msp before. However, I have c++ source code for an external patch that I need to compile to use as an external for max. I have it open in visual studio 2005, can anyone tell me how to compile it to the .mxe that I need?

I’m working on tight deadline for uni and if anyone could help i would be extremely grateful!

Thanks :)

#35561
Jan 29, 2008 at 9:10am

On Jan 29, 2008 8:36 AM, Ella Romanos wrote:
>
>
> This probably is a very simple question, but I have never used max/msp
> before. However, I have c++ source code for an external patch that I need
> to compile to use as an external for max. I have it open in visual studio
> 2005, can anyone tell me how to compile it to the .mxe that I need?
>

I’d start off with Graham Wakefields C++ template code (search archives).
Not sure if it has visual studio projects. If not you can use the SDK
example VS projects to see that the appropriate compiler settings are
(byte alignment is important). Once you got that to compile, start adding
your code.
Don’t forget to read the writingexternals.pdf and possibly the pattrsdk.pdf.
If you run into trouble post to the dev (dev@cycling74.com) list, not this
one.

Good luck,
Thijs

#121342
Jan 29, 2008 at 9:17am

Quote: thijs.koerselman wrote on Tue, 29 January 2008 10:10
—————————————————-
> If you run into trouble post to the dev (dev@cycling74.com) list, not this
> one.

Correct; moving this topic to the dev forum.

#121343
Feb 1, 2008 at 2:18am

Hi,

I’ve had the same problem except that i need to compile the C++ only on Visual studio C++ 6.0. Anyone used that for externals and managed to compile sucessfully before?

I’ve tried googling and found this flext development platform for max/msp but it seems like it works only for codewarrior compiler. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance.

#121344
Feb 6, 2008 at 3:27am

Not true.

Thomas Grill ships Flext with build scripts which generate template
configs when executed from within a bash shell or a win32 command
prompt (build.sh and build.bat respectively). When you execute either
of these it will prompt you for what platform/environment you’re
building for and also whether it’s for Pure Data or Max/MSP. You’ll
then have to take the generated config and edit it to actually reflect
where you want it to pull in dependencies and where you want libraries
to live. The *way* the classes are generated is interesting in itself
in that a huge amount of the Flext code that Thomas wrote and its
libraries uses a *heavy* amount of preprocessing and macros for
defining basic classes and types. It seems a bit overkill for just
getting classes declared for the interface—however aside from that,
Flext and Graham’s recent C++-template based code should get you going
with writing C++ implementations of externals. The Flext
implementation is also STL friendly :)

Anyhow I hope this gets you going with Flext–once it builds, it’s
pretty easy to integrate with custom externals. Apologies for the 5+
day late reply–I only now just saw this thread and saw that no one
answered whether Flext was only for CodeWarrior.

Brandon

On Jan 31, 2008 6:18 PM, Wei Min wrote:
> I’ve tried googling and found this flext development platform for max/msp but it seems like it works only for codewarrior compiler. Can anyone confirm this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

#121345

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.