Forums > MaxMSP

Help with key / keyup when max is not activated in window

October 28, 2009 | 4:45 am

Hello,
After work today I patched together this really rough version of a patch I’ve been thinking about for a while. Basically I wanted to make a patch that would make "music" while I typed on my word doc and wrote emails. I like it so far want to make it much more complex, BUT whenever I type and the Max application is not selected, like I am writing in an email in firefox, or typing in Word max isn’t seeing the key strokes or reading the values. There’s got to be a simple way to fix this right? If not then is there a way to basically have a text box in max that you can just write in while the program is running? Also super bonus points, How do I add a easy record setting that bangs record when I turn this sucker on!
Thanks a lot,
best
jjr
I’ve attached the patch

October 28, 2009 | 8:23 am

Have a look at the [hi] object, if you set it to monitor your keyboard it will still output keystrokes even when max isn’t the currently used app. As for recording; check out [sfrecord~], or [record~] and [buffer~].

lh

October 28, 2009 | 6:07 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply, I checked out the Hi object and then read the Human Interface section in the max tutorials, but i still am having trouble getting the hi info to be recognized by my key objects. Any suggestions?
thanks

jjr

October 28, 2009 | 6:36 pm

All you need to do is make sure that [hi] is focussing on the correct keyboard, and then unpack the left output. Check the help file for [hi] you don’t need to use it in conjunction with key and keyup. You can just use select after unpack.

October 28, 2009 | 11:33 pm

Hello,
I’ve done your suggestions, but Hi seems to only out put a single number for each keyboard press, key and keyup out put more information > ASCII value> Platform-Specific Key code Value > Plat form Independent key code value > Mod- Keys. Is there something I’m missing as a way to get this data from Hi? Also I just keep wondering if there is a way to route the bang of "a key was pressed on the keyboard in to this patch and let the key and keyup gather all their data?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)