Help with Max MSP and Jitter

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:24pm

Help with Max MSP and Jitter

I am a student and working on a project which will use the above mentioned programs.

I would like to know if any of you have ever tried to track the notes played on a guitar to trigger a video. I would like to do just that as I am in a band and the solos of the guitarist are suppose to send a message to trigger two videos.

The other question is very similar, has anyone used or heard of a device that could track your voice/speach and I don’t mean microsoft word as this can not be integrated within max i don’t think but I want to track one word wich is very distinctive to send a picture onto a screen.

Hopefully you can help me in any ways, ressources info patches etc

Thank you in advance.

Baroness Thorn

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:34pm

Quote: Baroness Thorn wrote on Mon, 19 February 2007 06:24
—————————————————-
> I would like to know if any of you have ever tried to track the notes played on a guitar to trigger a video.

There is a pitch tracking external called fiddle~. This is an often discussed topic – in fact there is a thread on the first page of the forum right now called “pitch tracking with a guitar”. I bet if you search the archives you’ll find some tips. Tips for searching the archives are in this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/267fuk

> The other question is very similar, has anyone used or heard of a device that could track your voice/speach

I think voice recognition is a bit more problematic, I don’t really know about doing that. If the word were sung and you could detect a pitch, like what you want to do with the guitar, it might be easier. I’d suggest getting the guitar to video thing happening first and then try tackling this…but maybe someone else has a magic trick to share….

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:33pm

> I would like to know if any of you have ever tried to track the notes played on a guitar to trigger a video.

fiddle~ is prob the best option, although you may want to play around with filters or dropping the intput an octave as it comes into max since the high number of harmonics makes the guitar quite hard to track in my experience.

> The other question is very similar, has anyone used or heard of a device that could track your voice/speach

http://www.iamas.ac.jp/~aka/max/#aka_listen

give this link a try, aka.listen, im not sure how accurate it is ive not tried it personally.
In my experience you would be much better using a food pedal or button of some sort to synchronise these events succesfully, if you are discreet about it the audience are non the wiser and you are not opening yourself up to the mountain of potential problems inviolved with live tracking/analysis.

hope this helps.
Will

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.