Forums > MaxMSP

Help with music analyzation for light strip

October 11, 2013 | 12:32 am

I have an Arduino Neopixel LED light strip that I want to set up to be in sync with music. I found a similar project using 6 LEDs. It basically anaylzes the audio-in and converts it to amplitudes for "high" "mid" and "low" and sends those values to the Arduino microcontroller. I have Max 5.0 but am a complete noob. I wanted to use his Max file as basis and just change a few things to suit my needs but his file is un-editable. I can see his file in patching mode but I can’t unlock the file into edit mode. So I have a couple questions:

Can I unlock his file somehow to make a few minor modifications?

Is there any other object or whatnot that I can use to analyze an audio input, and get the amplitudes of the various frequencies (like an fft) so I can send that data to my arduino through USB?

I am a huge noob at Max so if you could explain things very simply step by step that would be great. Any help is much appreciated!!!

October 11, 2013 | 3:31 am

What’s the file extension? A patch file (.mxb or .pat) is normally editable for all the world. A standalone or collective, otoh, is not (.app/.exe, .mxf).

It is possible to extract the core patch from standalones and collectives to allow editing, but if you’re if that new to Max/MSP, the step-by-step is going to look pretty arcane. And first we need to know exactly what you’re dealing with.

October 11, 2013 | 6:34 am

It’s .mxf. I’d love to hear the process again, there are a lot of standalone abandoned little nuggets out there that could use a little lovin’.

October 11, 2013 | 8:30 am

Thanks for the response. The file extension is .mxf. I did some reading online, and tried to copy text using a text editor and paste it into its own .maxpat file, but I’m having trouble figuring out how much to copy. I read somewhere to copy from the first "{" to when it closes but when I do that and open it I get errors for certain objects that there are "no such objects." So obviously the .mxf created those objects but now I don’t know which code to copy and which not to. I can not attach the .mxf file as it is too big so this is the link to download it: http://cdn.makezine.com/make/2010/11/Max-Arduino_Color_Organ.zip

Again, any help is much appreciated. thanks a bunch!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)