Help with project

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:18am

Help with project

Hi guys, I’m fairly new to programming using maxMSP so would appreciate some help. Have to do a project for university and I had the idea to make a rangefinder. Could anyone tell me any possible ways I could pull this off?

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:12am

read the tuts. give it a honest try. then if you are still stuck ask a more specific question along with a patch you are working on and I’m sure people will be happy to help you out (I know I would).

For me, this is too vague (what range? what do you mean by “find”?) with no indications that you tried at all…

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:28am

several hardware options exist, the PING))), using an infrared or sonic rangefinder via Arduino or the MAKE controller, etc. Quickest way (though not the cheapest) is to use the MAKE, it’s well-integrated with Max out of the box. If you can afford it I would go that route, it’s got a lot more options than the Arduino and doesn’t need code to go with it (aside from the patching). That said, the Arduino community and sample code is really great, so you can definitely get things going if you use it.

If and when you do get something up and running, you’ll need to figure out how to calibrate the values you’re getting: they probably won’t give a nice linear response vs. distance, you’ll need to scale them exponentially, or use a [table] with the right curve as a lookup. Check the helpfiles for these and experiment away, there’s a mountain of things you can learn before ever getting the hardware. And once you get the rangefinder working, what do you want to do with it? :)

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:03pm

Sorry if I was a little vague, I really haven’t been using the software very long so I just wanted to know if it was possible to do something like that. After looking at that kit though I don’t think it’ll be viable on a student budget, not to mention my lack of expertise with electronics. Guess I’ll have to keep thinking, but thank you very much for your help :D

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:23pm

You could do it for under £50 with very minimal electronics and readymade code. Have a look here:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/InterfacingWithHardware#DistanceSensing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.