Forums > MaxMSP

Help with regexp (for osc parsing/formatting)

April 1, 2011 | 3:23 pm

Hi,

Sorry for asking such an explicit ‘how do i do this’ type question. I’d normally prefer to ask ‘what technique should i use to do this’…..

I have a (osc) message of the form:

/deviceName/INSTANCE_ID/controlName/CONTROL_INSTANCE_ID data1 data2 data3….etc

I’d like to pass the address (i.e. first section) of this message through a regexp object such that if the "deviceName" and "controlName" match those expected (i.e. those written into the regexp string) I obtain a max message (list) of the form:

INSTANCE ID controlName CONTROL_INSTANCE_ID

I know I could do this with [OSC-Route] and a wildcard, but this would produce INSTANCE_ID#s as strings such as "/2". This is no good as the string requires further processing to remove the leading slash to be usable as an integer.

(For bonus points, I intend to target a pattr object who’s scripting name is "controlName[CONTROL_INSTANCE_ID]" – can the regexp format its output like this, or do I still need to run it through a [sprintf %s[%ld] ]?)

Similarly, does regexp have ‘the power’ to convert a symbol such as "word[number]" into the following list:

word number

(or for more bonus points, into the symbol "word/number" without using [sprintf %s/%ld ])

Or is there a better object to parse the ‘word’ and/or ‘number’ from the symbol "word[number]"?

Again, apologies for such a direct request. I’ll happily accept a link to decent regexp examples/tutorials as an answer (the reference/help files are failing to overcome the mental block I have when it comes to regexes and how these relate to the output produced by regexp)

Cheers

April 1, 2011 | 10:35 pm

After some more tinkering (and simplyfying how I was using regexp) I have the following ‘solutions’ to the two cases I posted about previously.

Any suggestions/tips/pointers on how to make better use of the regexp objects would be much appreciated

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 3, 2011 | 10:35 am

After some more work, I now have an abstraction that will convert any pattr path string into an OSC address. Save the patch (e.g. as OSC-address-format) and instantiate objects with an argument to specify your ‘address prefix’

E.g. [OSC-address-format abc]

will convert:
subpatch::guiElement[1]
to
/abc/subpatch/guiElement/1

Again, as I’m using regexp I’d be grateful if anyone can offer tips to improve how the abstraction implements this functionality

April 3, 2011 | 11:07 am

And here is the inverse, for parsing an OSC address into a pattr path

April 3, 2011 | 2:43 pm

After a quick look this looks pretty good, I’ve not much to add (given that I find regexp a little intimidating at best) except that there are some illustrations/tutorials in the CNMAT MMJ-Depot files (check the CNMAT site) to do with working with OSC and pattr that you may like to check out to compare notes…

April 3, 2011 | 5:34 pm

This should simplify it a bit for the test cases you have shown in your examples here. I hope it is helpful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)