Help with the Capture Object

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:58am

Help with the Capture Object

Hi,
I am using the capture object to store a large amount of sysex information, which I can then dump back in to the MIDI device, this is working fine. The problem is, I would like to be able to save each set of sysex instructions as different files that can be dumped back into the capture object.
I can write the captured file (saves as .txt) using ‘write’ but then how do I get it to dump into capture, apart from copy and paste?
The help file states “Any numbers collected by capture are not saved, however, you can copy the numbers into a table.” This is also eluding me, maybe as I am working in hex?
Thought this was a simple one, but i’ve been stuck on it for a while now…
Hope some one can help!

Cheers

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:21am

Still no luck with this problem, so just putting another call out there for help. Is the question straight forward enough or have I been too cryptic?

Please help!

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:35am

If what you want is managing sysex files, why don’t you use the seq object? It can read and write MIDI files. Do you need to edit the sysex before sending them back?

To answer your question, there is AFAIK no way to read a .txt file into capture, but you could use text instead.

p

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:54am

Cheers Patrick, seq looks promising…
I have saved the sysex info as a text file and the seq object reads it (max window states this), but how do I output the info? Print command into the seq object states “no Sequence” Could it be that the text files are in hex?
Cheers
Tim

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:31am

You should capture your sysex from your MIDI device with seq too. seq doesn’t read/write text files, but MIDI files.

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:33am

Thanks again…I’ve worked it out using text object into listfunnel and unpack, this works but I will try using seq object as it looks more flexible and can control the playback speed. Thanks again!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.