Hi All! Can Someone Help me with my Looping Device?

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:07am

Hi All! Can Someone Help me with my Looping Device?

Hey guys, I need a bit of help modifying my looping device….

What I want to do is use the selector tool from the waveform~ object to select a portion of audio and somehow get the looper to change speed temporarily for that selected audio as it loops indefinitely. For example, lets say I use the selector tool from the waveform object and highlight a segment starting at 4400ms and ending and 5500ms….for that brief moment in the loop I’d like it to change to a designated speed ONLY for that segment…once the loop exceeds the end of that selected portion (5500ms) I’d like it to change back to a playback speed of 1 until the loop starts over and it hits that selected portion again (starting at 4400ms).

I’m not the best programmer nor very mathematically inclined, and I have tried to the best of my abilities but cannot make it happen!

Here is that patch.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Apr 6, 2012 at 2:35pm

you must use the “loop sync output” of groove~, which gives a 0. to 1. signal domain value of playback position in sample. You then scale that value by the overall size of your samples, which you can get using info~ or maybe you have that value elsewher ein your patch already (yes i think, that’s entering your [size $1] which goes in your [buffer~ ]). anyway, after that you must have a select or select~ which selects the beginning loop point, then triggers or sends a different playback speed value to your groove~. Another selector, triggered by the loop ending point, which reverts back to original speed.
Easy peasy ! ;) more seriously, i hope you’ll understand this, can’t really see how understandable i am…

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:14pm

groove~ is your friend here! You might also need to look into ‘ducking’ in and out of the looped sample as there will be a certain level of audio clipping at the cut-off points. Look at pong~ and maybe scale~ (if using Max 6). The scope~ object should also help you here on a visual level.

: )

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.