Hi Im a Newbie! And need Help please!:)

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:13pm

Hi Im a Newbie! And need Help please!:)

Hi guys! Im new here! and recently downloaded a 30 day demo of Max/Msp.

Managed to connect up Phidgets usb interface, the objective here is to create an FX unit.

Ive been Trying to use z3ta+ as a plugin (rather than an audio sample) in Max msp and im trying to figure it all out by watching and reading tutorials on the net..

None of them actually explained anything with regards to connecting up a Vst and how to get a midi keyboard to at act as the controller.
I copied in the help template but even that wont do anything…

All i get is a tone (im guessing that this means its connected) ????

Equipment

Sound Card – M-Audio Fast track pro
Keyboard – Edirol PCR-500

Thanks for your time,

IB

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:15pm

66 views and no help?!

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:31pm

It tends to be a bit difficult to know what to say without seeing a patch to know exactly what you need help with.

If you post the patch you are struggling with its 90% more likely to get a reply.

Have you tried using the plug message into vst~ to open the vst?

You can send it a params message which sends a list of the vst’s parameters out the 4th from right outlet. You can then use a message of [parameter name $1] into its first inlet to change the parameter remotely.

You can then use midiin + notein/ctlin to control the parameters. Remember to scale the 0-127 from the midi ctl to 0. to 1. which is the range used to control parameters.

I’ve not yet tried to load an actual vst instrument and play it via midi, but I know its possible. Have a look through the midiin/notein/ctlin help files and post the patch if you’re still running into problems.

We’re all happy to help!

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:11pm

Yes, please read the stickies-

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=38827&start=0&rid=2723&S=01f0e928088c6838e38756e35c32b06b

how to post patches-
http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=38828&start=0&rid=2723&S=01f0e928088c6838e38756e35c32b06b

It sounds like you are trying to load a plugin into the vst~ object. This should work, so if you post a patch we can see what the problem is.

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:16pm

Hi Guys thannks for getting back to me:)

Okay ill load the current Max file ive been trying to work on.

me and my friend are tryin to get the phidget board (which does receive a signal from the controllers) to interact with a vst plugin.

we are tryin to create an interface which has an infared light sensor so that when you move your hand over it, it will change the freq of the cuttoff on z3ta.

We have all the phidgets required to connect it too.. we have an infared light sensor, ps3 analogue stick phidget, a slider phidget. (maybe we could add more) not sure.

We are still very clueless about the software but are interested in learning alot more…

btw if you guys are in to electro please check out my music
http://www.myspace.com/ilanbluestone

All the best to and thanks:)

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:38pm

I’ve got no experience with phidget boards, but they look very interesting!

Heres a simple patch explaining what I was saying about the params message:

Sorry if this doesn’t help, hopefully someone else on the forum has some experience with phidget hardware.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

copy everything between and including —–begin/end_max5_patcher—- and choose edit > new from clipboard to open the text.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:33pm

Hey Tim cheers for your help.. we managed to get a little help.. and your advice was very helpfull thank you..

We managed to get Midi signal from the keyboard and got the vst plugin to play. We are tryin to get the first phidget in the phidget board to give signal to the cuttoff of the Vst. but we are tryin to find the rite cutoff command.. i hope im making sense here..

Thanks for your help:)

This is what we have so far bellow…

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:47pm

I think the OSC1Fine message may need to read:

[OSC1Fine $1] — the $1 will get replaced by the incoming number.

As I don’t have the plugin you’re using or a phidget board, thats all I can say really.

In the list of parameters that is printed in the max window, the cutoff that you want will be listed. If you use the exact name that is listed followed by $1 I would think it should work.

No $1 means that the incoming number will not be recognized, stored or sent out of the message object.

As long as you are getting input from the phidget, all you should have to do is scale it between 0. and 1. like you have and use the correct parameter name followed by $1.

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:04pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks again mate, we finally got it working!!! Such a ball ache lol!!!

One last question…. Smile

Because we are using the infra-red sensor (on the cutoff), the flonum is always fluctuating. I know you’ve never used the phidget but is there any way/code to make the movements smoother / slower or even stay at the last point you move it to?

I tried altering the scale figures but that just altered the range of the filters ie

0 1000 0. 1 – Goes upto 50%
(move hand away and it drops to 0%)

0 1000 0. 10 – Goes upto 100%
(move hand away and it fluctuates around 30%/40%)

You’ve been very helpful so far, and we really appreciate it.

Thanks

IB

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:24pm

I’m actually not sure about this.

You could try slide and line (check out the help files) but they might not provide enough smoothing without adding a delay to the sensor.

I looked around a bit and it seems that lp.scampf or lp.stacey from the Litter Starter Pack by Peter Castine are what you need to smooth/tame the data. I don’t know how to get hold of them though, because they aren’t native max objects and their host site won’t load.

Do a search on the forum, I’m sure that other people have run into the same problem and learned a way to sort it.

You will probably need to make a way of calibrating your sensor’s input though. For example if you do all your patching in a really bright room and it all works perfectly, the same set-up won’t provide the same data in a dark room.

You would need to experiment adjusting the scaling of the data depending on light conditions.

If you want the data to stay at the last point you move it to. you could try using the > and < or change objects.

If you have the output of the flonum going into the right input of a message box, the value isn’t sent out until a bang in the left inlet. You could use the >, > or change objects to detect if the data goes above or below certain a range (with the current value in the middle of that range) and hence trigger the output of the message.

Sorry for the confusing attempt at explaining, I’m hoping someone with more experience will join the discussion and shed some light!

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:51pm

Dunno what was up with it, but the site works now, I had a play around with the lp…. objects.

Couldn’t get my head around how to set up lp.scampf but heres a patch with 3 possible ways of smoothing the data.

As I can’t see the actual data from the sensor, I have no idea how effective or appropriate these might be, but its always worth a try!

You will need to download the litter starter pack (its free)

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:57pm

Check out the link below for a number of ways to average incoming data. They are all fairly useful, which one you use depends on your patch, try them all out and see.

lh

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=166335&rid=7622&S=7e01c3adcb7c840a6e25b596b9bece89&srch=jittery#msg_166335

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.