Forums > MaxMSP

hi object and multiple hid devices

October 14, 2006 | 8:01 pm

Hi everyone.
I’m wondering if it’s possible to get data into max from multiple hid devices at the same time using the hi object? All the devices are plugged into a usb hub and are detected by the hi object. But so far my experience is that the hi object only seems able to focus on one device at a time. Is there some way to resolve this? Alternatively, is there another hid object available that doesn’t have this limitation? Or, am I missing something obvious???
Thanks a lot!

Dan.

October 14, 2006 | 8:15 pm

Hi!

How about using two hi, one for each object? As long as the hi object is capable of identifying each object as a single entity, of course…

Best regards,

Rui

October 14, 2006 | 8:29 pm

I tried that…. But I got the impression that it wasn’t working. Do you have experience with it working?

October 14, 2006 | 9:03 pm

Quote: Daniel Grigsby wrote on Sat, 14 October 2006 22:01
—————————————————-
> Hi everyone.
> I’m wondering if it’s possible to get data into max from multiple hid devices at the same time using the hi object? All the devices are plugged into a usb hub and are detected by the hi object. But so far my experience is that the hi object only seems able to focus on one device at a time. Is there some way to resolve this? Alternatively, is there another hid object available that doesn’t have this limitation? Or, am I missing something obvious???
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Dan.
—————————————————-

I have had the same experience. I now use the Joystick external from maxobjects.com instead.

October 14, 2006 | 9:16 pm

crap, but that’s a windows only external!

October 14, 2006 | 9:38 pm

I recently used HI in a performance to watch 4 game controllers simultaneously, using 4 separate instances of HI. It always worked as expected. You might test this by loading multiple instances of the help patch.

October 14, 2006 | 9:44 pm

Yep… multiple instances of help patch: works here. 4.5 on Pb G4/10.4.7

October 14, 2006 | 10:06 pm

were you using a usb hub? I assume you would be with 4 devices!

October 14, 2006 | 10:13 pm

Yes, which brings up another potential issue: with multiple power-sucking devices, if the hub is not itself powered, you may run into power issues. if this is a problem, the devices will simply not show up in your hi menu.

October 14, 2006 | 10:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’ll try again tomorrow as I don’t have all the devices with me. Thanks again.
Dan.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)