Forums > MaxMSP

[hi] object horizontal scroll?

February 7, 2009 | 8:56 am

i know vertical scroll comes out of [hi] preceded by a 6, but it seems that horizontal scroll is unimplemented.

either that, or i don’t know how to access it?

it seems like this data should be available… anyone have any suggestions?

February 8, 2009 | 5:48 am

Quote: the reverend wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 02:56
—————————————————-
> i know vertical scroll comes out of [hi] preceded by a 6, but it seems that horizontal scroll is unimplemented.
>
> either that, or i don’t know how to access it?
>
> it seems like this data should be available… anyone have any suggestions?
—————————————————-

not sure what you mean, which hardware are you using for the hi? Interested in what you’re after. I’d love to be able to auto-scroll things like text files or web pages, perhaps the hi could do it somehow. (yes, I’m just that lazy.)

February 8, 2009 | 8:53 pm

although it doesn’t currently do it, i think my mousewheel external could also output horizontal scroll with minimal changes to the code. i don’t have time right now but the source is online if you want to have a go:

http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/index.php?p=max#mw

oli

February 8, 2009 | 9:07 pm

thanks for that oli.

it does currently output horizontal info, however there’s no distinction in the data between vertical and horizontal.

i’ll have a look at the source when i get a minute to see if it’s an easy hack.

@cj, (did i interpret that correctly?)
i’m just using the standard trackpad on a macbook pro. i don’t need to do any fancy autoscrolling, but i’m adding on to a sound file preparation utility for the monome and would like to have scrolling functionality.

February 8, 2009 | 10:22 pm

>
> @cj, (did i interpret that correctly?)
> i’m just using the standard trackpad on a macbook pro. i don’t need to do any fancy autoscrolling, but i’m adding on to a sound file preparation utility for the monome and would like to have scrolling functionality.
—————————————————-

Not quite sure how to go about it. If it’s a trackpad, which emulates the mouse, you might look at [mousestate] and do some trickery using its values…?

Also if you’re working with sound files, definitely check out the waveform~ editor, which is fantastic. It can also accept values in to change the selection area and/or zoom (display) area, so these could be piped in from mousestate or wherever. Getting the sfinfo~ sound file length to start can help you scale things the way you want. I especially like using [mtr] with waveform~, so you can record some actions like selecting and zooming, then play them back and watch the magic :)

February 8, 2009 | 10:32 pm

waveform~ is currently the central focus of the patch, and i plan to use the delta value from horizontal scrolling to move the display over (as you would expect). i could do it with the vertical scroll, but the HCI consequences of that make me cringe.

i’ll look into [mtr], that sort of behavior sounds like it could be quite useful.

July 31, 2009 | 11:17 pm

i’ve updated my ol.mousewheel external to support horizontal scroll and modifiers. It’s also now working on windows, although i am not sure if the horizontal scroll is working properly there.

http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/index.php?p=max#mw

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)