HI object problem XP : no devices found
I’m having a problem with the Hi object on XP. The object works fine in the related patch on mac, but on XP sending the "menu" message results in a ‘no devices found’ message in the max window.
Are there any know issues with hi on xp? Any solution suggestions..
Any help on this would be much appreciated.
I can’t really help you, but I have had a few devices hooked up, and haven’t been able to interface with them – I’d be happy to learn that it’s a fixable bug rather than incompatibility.
By the way, is there a list of "known to work with HI"-objects somewhere?
One thing is that the hi object on Win XP does not support the
keyboard and mouse. Is that your problem perhaps?
Damn… that is very very bad news…(the openining exhibition is tomorrow) Is there another way to import the data from a scroll wheel ? Alternatives to hi, something….?
i’ve tried to make an experimental mouse wheel external, at the moment it’s
but i have no idea how reliable it is…
thanks a zillion.. it works fine up untill know and is exactly what we were looking for… you’re a lifesaver!!
very nice! I’ll give it a good testing! It’ll make my wireless mouse a bit more fun for audio-visual cues :)
some reflections on the working of your external up untill know, maybe you find them usefull…
It might be handy to send out 0 when the scrollwheel is not moving up or down. Not necessaraly continuously. I have resolved this now by using a gate : everytime the qmetro sends a bang to the mweel, it also sends 0 to a gate, this 0 is also used to know ‘when nothing is happening’. when mweel sends -120 or 120, a "trigger i b" sends out the integer to the gate, and the bang triggers 1, opening the gate and allowing passage of the -120/120 message.
It is immediately closed affterwards, since it receives a new 0 through the qmetro.
I’ve also noticed a considerable drop in framerate when banging mwheel. It drops from 60 to 25. I wish I could give any further info on that, but I’m no c programmer so I don’t really know how the object works internally.
A noticeable increase in speed occurs however, when I move the mouse around… (the mwheel actually detects an altered scrollwheel, the mouse movement is from another mouse connected to the computer, one whithout scroll wheel fwiw…)
nice to hear you’ve find it useful, and sorry to hear about frame drops. It
is a problem I’ve encountered with another similar external, but because I
have very weak knowledge of windows API and thread things, so far I haven’t
a solution. I’ve mentioned this stuff to someone more skillful then me, so
maybe we’ll have this and other exotic mouse functionality soon/someday.
This is probably because mwheel external stops main max thread until it
receives mouse info from windows, and this seems to happen regularly 25
times per second, or more often if mouse is sending data.
If you or anyone else wants source code for this external, I’ll try to dig
it out and send it to you offlist.
well.. i doubt if I can do anything with the source code, but if so I’ll let you know whether someone can have a look at it…
I guess the problem is maybe related to the same reason the hi object doesn’t support the keyboard and mouse because of priority issues…
I must dissapoint you in the fact that we didn’t end up using the object, this because of the frame drops… It slowed the installation down to an unacceptable speedd so we ended up ti-wrapping a powerbook g4 to the whole thing to detect the mouse using the hi object and send it to the pc rendering everything, using OSC.
It’s nontheless a usefull object, and I hope I can have someone think of what the problem might be with the framedrops or you can figure out something. I believe it can be a very usefull external for other people as well.