Forums > Jitter

Hi Res Video Stutters with Jitter

December 24, 2006 | 2:20 pm

Hi All,

I am trying to play HiRes (1280 x 720) video in a Jitter patch and the results are not smooth.

I’ve tried MJpegA and Photo JPeg codecs with the same slightly jerky results in either case.

The video file plays perfectly smoothly in the Quicktime player, but is just not smooth within Jitter.

The patch is super simple… read a quicktime file… jit.qt.movie to a window – I’ve tried metro at all settings from 1 to 40 ms. – All with the same results…

Any ideas? It’s so frustrating that it plays perfectly in the Quicktime player.. but not smoothly using Jitter. This is my only experience with video not playing smoothly in Jitter. I have much more complex patches running two 640×480 streams with effects and etc. which run perfectly.

I’ve also tried loading the clip which is about 30 MB to RAM.. same problem

Thanks!

Valentin

p.s. I’ve tried the patch on both Dual 2Ghz G5 and MacBookPro Dual Core. Same patch scaling up a 640×480 file works fine too.


December 24, 2006 | 2:29 pm

BTW, Here’s the patch… Maybe I’m doing something fundamentally wrong? lol

max v2;
#N vpatcher 195 91 1127 801;
#P window setfont "Sans Serif" 9.;
#P number 270 208 35 9 0 30 3 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P button 256 289 15 0;
#P window setfont "Fixedwidth Serif" 10.;
#P newex 222 238 58 1441802 metro 10;
#P toggle 222 209 15 0;
#P message 306 236 34 1441802 read;
#P newex 305 501 184 1441802 jit.window Movie 5 5 1285 725;
#B color 5;
#P newex 305 378 136 1441802 jit.qt.movie 1280 720;
#B color 5;
#P connect 3 0 4 0;
#P fasten 4 0 5 0 227 274 261 274;
#P connect 6 0 4 1;
#P fasten 2 0 0 0 311 265 310 265 310 289 310 289;
#P fasten 5 0 0 0 261 378 310 378;
#P connect 0 0 1 0;
#P pop;


December 24, 2006 | 5:24 pm


December 24, 2006 | 5:36 pm


December 25, 2006 | 5:56 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.. :-)

I tried the jit.window @noaccel 1 with a direct-to-window command to the jit.qt.movie

That worked beautifully for getting the video to stop stuttering.

The problem is that now, I have no way to do anything with the video other than just streaming it from disk (i.e. I had wanted to fade from one "stream" to another… using jit.xfade so that files could run continuously , one into the other… )

With the direct-to-window, I no longer have any way to use all the lovely jitter things like xfade, rotate etc etc…

Is there any way to get the file to stream smoothly, and still maintain the ability to manipulate the matrix (even just rotation and xfade would be adequate… but having no ability to effect the stream or even crossfade from one stream to another, makes it kind of useless for my purpose – frustrating.)

I had the whole setup prototyped beautifully, but with multiple 640×480 streams. With the higher res quicktime, it just doesn’t keep up.

Help?! lol

- Valentin


December 25, 2006 | 8:02 pm

Well, the direct-to-window version is the most similar to the
QuickTime Player situation which you described. And the only valid
comparison, so I’m glad that it runs well in this case.

Nevertheless, if you need high-resolution, high-performance with
fades, spatial effects, etc. etc. etc., you will need to use the
@colormode uyvy modes available to jit.qt.movie, jit.gl.slab/texture,
jit.gl.videoplane and friends. Do a search on "colormode" or "uyvy"
in the forums, if you’re not sure about this.

If this doesn’t run fast enough, you probably need a faster computer
or reduced expections of what is possible to accomplish on current
computer hardware in realtime.

jb

Am 25.12.2006 um 18:56 schrieb Valentin:

>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.. :-)
>
> I tried the jit.window @noaccel 1 with a direct-to-window command
> to the jit.qt.movie
>
> That worked beautifully for getting the video to stop stuttering.
>
> The problem is that now, I have no way to do anything with the
> video other than just streaming it from disk (i.e. I had wanted to
> fade from one "stream" to another… using jit.xfade so that files
> could run continuously , one into the other… )
>
> With the direct-to-window, I no longer have any way to use all the
> lovely jitter things like xfade, rotate etc etc…
>
> Is there any way to get the file to stream smoothly, and still
> maintain the ability to manipulate the matrix (even just rotation
> and xfade would be adequate… but having no ability to effect the
> stream or even crossfade from one stream to another, makes it kind
> of useless for my purpose – frustrating.)
>
> I had the whole setup prototyped beautifully, but with multiple
> 640×480 streams. With the higher res quicktime, it just doesn’t
> keep up.
>
> Help?! lol
>
> – Valentin
>
>


December 26, 2006 | 12:32 am

search the archives or in the examples for using videoplanes with YUV
texturing. With a decent to high end card, you can get HD resolution
videos working in simple patches for mixing.

On Dec 25, 2006, at 12:56 PM, Valentin wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.. :-)
>
> I tried the jit.window @noaccel 1 with a direct-to-window command
> to the jit.qt.movie
>
> That worked beautifully for getting the video to stop stuttering.
>
> The problem is that now, I have no way to do anything with the
> video other than just streaming it from disk (i.e. I had wanted to
> fade from one "stream" to another… using jit.xfade so that files
> could run continuously , one into the other… )
>
> With the direct-to-window, I no longer have any way to use all the
> lovely jitter things like xfade, rotate etc etc…
>
> Is there any way to get the file to stream smoothly, and still
> maintain the ability to manipulate the matrix (even just rotation
> and xfade would be adequate… but having no ability to effect the
> stream or even crossfade from one stream to another, makes it kind
> of useless for my purpose – frustrating.)
>
> I had the whole setup prototyped beautifully, but with multiple
> 640×480 streams. With the higher res quicktime, it just doesn’t
> keep up.
>
> Help?! lol
>
> – Valentin
>
>

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info


December 26, 2006 | 12:51 am

i got an e6400 duo2 2gig geforce 9700gs running the
jit.gl.slab-DVcompareCPU @ 14fps 75cpu%
jit.gl.slab-DVcompareGPU @ 60fps 32cpu% (tops)

On 12/26/06, vade wrote:
>
> search the archives or in the examples for using videoplanes with YUV
> texturing. With a decent to high end card, you can get HD resolution videos
> working in simple patches for mixing.
>
>
> On Dec 25, 2006, at 12:56 PM, Valentin wrote:
>
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.. :-)
>
> I tried the jit.window @noaccel 1 with a direct-to-window command to the
> jit.qt.movie
>
> That worked beautifully for getting the video to stop stuttering.
>
> The problem is that now, I have no way to do anything with the video other
> than just streaming it from disk (i.e. I had wanted to fade from one
> "stream" to another… using jit.xfade so that files could run
> continuously , one into the other… )
>
> With the direct-to-window, I no longer have any way to use all the lovely
> jitter things like xfade, rotate etc etc…
>
> Is there any way to get the file to stream smoothly, and still maintain
> the ability to manipulate the matrix (even just rotation and xfade would be
> adequate… but having no ability to effect the stream or even crossfade
> from one stream to another, makes it kind of useless for my purpose -
> frustrating.)
>
> I had the whole setup prototyped beautifully, but with multiple 640×480
> streams. With the higher res quicktime, it just doesn’t keep up.
>
> Help?! lol
>
> – Valentin
>
>
>
>
> *v a d e //*
>
> *www.vade.info*
> *abstrakt.vade.info*
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


December 26, 2006 | 2:23 am

if you uncheck or send ‘sync 0′, your GL context will not be limted
to your VBL sync refresh rate, and will show you a more accurate
‘performance’ indication from GL.

what kind of/resolution movies are you playing back?

On Dec 25, 2006, at 7:51 PM, yair reshef wrote:

> i got an e6400 duo2 2gig geforce 9700gs running the
> jit.gl.slab-DVcompareCPU @ 14fps 75cpu%
> jit.gl.slab-DVcompareGPU @ 60fps 32cpu% (tops)
>
> On 12/26/06, vade wrote:
> search the archives or in the examples for using videoplanes with
> YUV texturing. With a decent to high end card, you can get HD
> resolution videos working in simple patches for mixing.
>
>
>
> On Dec 25, 2006, at 12:56 PM, Valentin wrote:
>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestions.. :-)
>>
>> I tried the jit.window @noaccel 1 with a direct-to-window
>> command to the jit.qt.movie
>>
>> That worked beautifully for getting the video to stop stuttering.
>>
>> The problem is that now, I have no way to do anything with the
>> video other than just streaming it from disk (i.e. I had wanted to
>> fade from one "stream" to another… using jit.xfade so that files
>> could run continuously , one into the other… )
>>
>> With the direct-to-window, I no longer have any way to use all the
>> lovely jitter things like xfade, rotate etc etc…
>>
>> Is there any way to get the file to stream smoothly, and still
>> maintain the ability to manipulate the matrix (even just rotation
>> and xfade would be adequate… but having no ability to effect the
>> stream or even crossfade from one stream to another, makes it kind
>> of useless for my purpose – frustrating.)
>>
>> I had the whole setup prototyped beautifully, but with multiple
>> 640×480 streams. With the higher res quicktime, it just doesn’t
>> keep up.
>>
>> Help?! lol
>>
>> – Valentin
>>
>>
>
> v a d e //
>
> http://www.vade.info
> abstrakt.vade.info
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info


December 28, 2006 | 1:51 am

Hi…

Okay, so I have the videoplane patch working – 1280×720 quicktime file, put on a videoplane… works fine… muuuuch smoother than using a jit.qt.movie going to a jit.window directly

My question is… when using videoplane, how does one crossfade between two streams of quicktime?

Do I simply use the jit.xfade as I have in the past, combining the two jit.qt.movie outputs into xfade, and then put the xfade output on the videoplane?… or is there some other trick to it?

Thanks!

- Valentin
artist, producer, ninja


December 28, 2006 | 1:55 am

check the examples folder in render, there are plenty of topics on
the forum covering this. hint: blend_enable 1 and change the alpha
channel for 2 video planes, set to render @ automatic 0 to force
render order.

also, transform_reset 2 is helpful in this context.

On Dec 27, 2006, at 8:51 PM, Valentin wrote:

>
> Hi…
>
> Okay, so I have the videoplane patch working – 1280×720 quicktime
> file, put on a videoplane… works fine… muuuuch smoother than
> using a jit.qt.movie going to a jit.window directly
>
> My question is… when using videoplane, how does one crossfade
> between two streams of quicktime?
>
> Do I simply use the jit.xfade as I have in the past, combining the
> two jit.qt.movie outputs into xfade, and then put the xfade output
> on the videoplane?… or is there some other trick to it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> – Valentin
> artist, producer, ninja

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info


Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)